1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A contour integral frequenctly encountered

1. Aug 29, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Need some help here on a frequently encountered integral in Green's function formalism.

2. Relevant equations

I have an integral/summation as a product of a retarded and advanced Green's functions, looks simply like
    [itex]\sum_{p^{\prime}}\frac{1}{p^{2}-{p^{\prime}}^{2}-i\epsilon}\frac{1}{p^{2}-{p^{\prime}}^{2}+i\epsilon}[/itex]
    where I have omitted the mass [itex]m[/itex] to make the notation simple. [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is a positive infinitesimal.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I can convert the summation to an integral over momentum [itex]p[/itex], this is standard. Then I follow the complex analysis and identify 4 poles and further apply the residue theorem, what I get is an expression proportional to [itex]\frac{1}{\epsilon}[/itex]. This means it is divergent.

Can any one point out to me what have I missed in this calculation? What mistakes did I make? Many many thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2014 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi.

Can you provide more details on your calculation? I am assuming you are doing the four-dimensional integral over [itex] d^4 p [/itex]. Then did you do the [itex] p_0 [/itex] integral using contour integration and got the [itex] 1/ \epsilon [/itex] term before doing the remaining 3-dimensional integral?

4. Aug 29, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the reply. This is simply a product of two Green's functions, one retarded and one advanced. No, it is a regular 3D integral (summation) and momentum [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]p^{\prime}[/itex] here are both 3D vectors. Somehow I know there is a contour integral to be done. But it is not clear to me how should I do it.

What I did was the following. If I perform the [itex]p[/itex] integration using residue theorem, as I mentioned in the post, I end up with four poles [itex]p\pm i\epsilon[/itex], [itex]-p\pm i\epsilon[/itex] and the final result [itex]\sim \frac{1}{\epsilon}[/itex]. The same result comes out if I convert the [itex]p[/itex] integration into one with energy using [itex]E=p^{2}/{2m}[/itex].

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  5. Aug 30, 2014 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

It doesn't make physical sense if the vectors [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]p'[/itex] are Euclidean.

Anyway, as a purely mathematical exercise, it's an interesting problem, because it demonstrates the problem of Pinch singularities that sometimes occur in real-time many-body QFT if one is not careful enough, because, as you seem to have realized, the expressions do not make sense in the weak limit [itex]\epsilon \rightarrow 0^+[/itex]. Fortunately, one can prove rigorously that such pinch singularities are absent when the correct Schwinger-Keldysh Contour techniques are applied. The details are a bit tedious, and one has to use some care to correctly make sense of the distributions involved in the calculation. See my lecture notes on relativistic many-body theory:

http://fias.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/off-eq-qft.pdf

(the long Sect. 2.2).

6. Aug 30, 2014 #5
    Thanks, vanhees71, for your explanation. Your notes in the link are a bit too advanced for a junior student. Hopefully I will get there later. Is there any chance to explain in a simplified language? To be more specific, my problem arises from calculating, for example, the inner product of two scattered wave functions built up with Lippmann-Schwinger equation in momentum space (see, for example, in the Sakurai book), where you immediately encounter the product of two propagators described above.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted