A cos theta + b sin theta

In summary, the conversation discusses a "rule" for simplifying expressions involving cosine and sine functions. This rule states that a cosine term plus a sine term can be simplified to the square root of their sum squared, multiplied by a cosine and sine of an acute angle. This rule is explained using a right angle triangle, but the speaker does not understand this method and is seeking further explanation.
pavadrin
Hey,
I’ve got a test in one week’s time and was studying through my textbook of geometry and trigonometry. I came across a “rule” which shows how to simplify expressions in the form of [tex]a \cos \theta + b \sin \theta[/tex] but I do not understand how this “rule” works.
The simplify rule:

[tex] a \cos \theta + b \sin \theta = \sqrt{a^2+b^2} (\frac{a}{\sqrt{ a^2+b^2}} \cos \theta + \frac{b}{ \sqrt{ a^2+b^2}} \sin \theta )[/tex]

[tex] a \cos \theta + b \sin \theta = \sqrt{a^2+b^2}(\cos \alpha \cos \theta + \sin \alpha \sin \theta)[/tex]

[tex] a \cos \theta + b \sin \theta = \sqrt{a^2+b^2} \cos (\theta - \alpha)[/tex]

where [tex]\alpha[/tex] is an acute angle

In the textbook this is explained using a right angle triangle where [tex]\alpha[/tex] is the unknown angle being measured, side a is the adjacent side and side b is the opposite, therefore the hypotenuse is equal to [tex]sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/tex]. However I do not understand this method which the book uses to explain, and was wondering if somebody out there knew how to explain/prove how/where this “rule” has come from. Thank you for any legitimate reply,
Pavadrin

EDIT: those latex code isn't wokring properly so I've attached this image link:
PF1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
okay thanks for the link J77

1. What is the meaning of "A cos theta + b sin theta"?

"A cos theta + b sin theta" is a mathematical expression that represents a combination of the cosine and sine functions. A and b are constants that determine the amplitude and phase of the functions, while theta represents the variable angle in radians.

2. How is "A cos theta + b sin theta" related to trigonometry?

This expression is closely related to trigonometric functions, as it is a linear combination of the cosine and sine functions. It is often used to represent periodic phenomena, such as waves and oscillations.

3. What are the properties of "A cos theta + b sin theta"?

The main properties of this expression are that it is periodic, with a period of 2π, and that its range is between -sqrt(A^2 + b^2) and sqrt(A^2 + b^2). It can also be written in the form of a single trigonometric function, using the identities cos theta = cos(theta + 2π) and sin theta = sin(theta + 2π).

4. How is "A cos theta + b sin theta" used in science?

This expression is commonly used in physics and engineering to represent various phenomena, such as simple harmonic motion, sound waves, and electromagnetic waves. It is also used in signal processing and Fourier analysis to describe and analyze periodic signals.

5. How can "A cos theta + b sin theta" be graphed?

The graph of this expression is a sinusoidal curve, with A and b determining the amplitude and phase of the curve. To graph it, you can plot points by substituting different values of theta and then connect them to form a smooth curve. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or software to generate the graph.