1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A few chemistry questions basically proportion calculations

1. Jan 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Chloroethane, reacts with Oxygen according to the equation below:
    2C2H3Cl + 5O2 → 4CO2 + 2H2O
    +2HCl
    How many moles of CO2 are produced when 3.0 moles of choloroethane and 3 mol of O2 are reacted?

When 50cm3 of 1mol/dm3 HCl is mixed with 50cm3 of 1mol/dm3 NaOH, the temp of the resulting solution increases by 6 °C. What will be the temp change when 100cm3 of each of these solutions are mixed?

I'm sorry I don't really have any idea on how to attempt these properly, could you guys give me a hint? Please!!! The help would be greatly appreciated !!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

4. Jan 21, 2013 #3
    So for the first one it is 5mole of Oxygen gives 4 mole of CO2? so
    3mole of Oxygen gives X moles?

5. Jan 21, 2013 #4

Borek

Yes, but you have to check if there is enough chloroethane to react with 3 moles of oxygen. Could be there is not enough, then you will have to calculate amount of CO2 knowing that 2 moles of chloroethane produce 4 moles of carbon dioxide.

This is so called limiting reagent problem.

6. Jan 21, 2013 #5
    So is it 2 moles of chloroethane react with to produce 4 mole of carbon dioxide
    so 3moles gives x?

7. Jan 21, 2013 #6

Borek

Yes.

8. Jan 21, 2013 #7
    So the overall answer is 6moles of CO2?

9. Jan 21, 2013 #8

Borek

How many moles of CO2 would be produced from 3 moles of O2?

10. Jan 21, 2013 #9
    2.4moles

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook