1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A few questions about a problem involving Trusses

1. Oct 28, 2009 #1
    Hi! I'm really having a problem understanding this part of statics so please help!

In this picture, http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/ll323/IAmMaxwellEdison/Members.jpg, what are the zero force members and how do I identify them?

I'm pretty sure that GH, CF, and CD are zero-force members. However, I'm uncertain if EH is a zero force member because load is being applied on point E. Also, are AB and AD zero-force members? because there is the reaction force from the pins so I'm not very sure. So basically, I think all of the members inside the truss are zero-force members if I were to follow this guide.

http://vcity.ou.edu/demoModules/analysis/truss/media/zeromem.gif

I'm sorry for asking so many questions, but I'm pretty sure I will be able to understand the concept much easier if these questions were answered. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2009 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The rules for zero force members apply , in part, for one member framing into 2 colinear members.
    GH, yes, but why CF and CD?
    If GH is 0, what does that tell you about EH when you look at joint H?
    Reaction forces are loads applied at a joint.
    no.

4. Oct 29, 2009 #3
    Yeah, I tried just solving for each force on the members and I got only 2 zero-force members - HG and HE. Thank you! I have some more studying to do. "-o-. I thought it's three or more not just three. Thanks!

5. Oct 29, 2009 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Great, good job.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook