1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Displacement in external redundant truss

1. Apr 8, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In this question , the author doesnt stated which direction ( either horozintal support of the pinned E or the vertical support force at pinned E to be selected as redundant ) . So , I tried this problem by applying the vertical force support at E as redundant .

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have done the step 1 , which is to find all the member force in the truss . ( The working is not shown here) .

However , I am having problem in part 2 , which is to find the member force by applying 1 unit load (virtual foce) ... By doing so , all the external force is removed and the new member forces are to be found .

I used ALTERNATIVE method to find the forces in the member . However , i cant balance the forces at joint C . What's wrong with my working ?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2017 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You cannot take the vertical force at E as the redundant force, because then the truss becomes unstable, since there must be a vertical force at E to balance moments about A.

4. Apr 11, 2017 #3
    So , the only way is to take the horizontal support force at E as redundant ?

5. Apr 11, 2017 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is correct. It is also worthy to note that the loading and truss geometry are both very symmetrical, so one would expect equal vertical reactions at each support, and equal but opposite horizontal reactions, if non zero, at the supports.

6. Apr 11, 2017 #5
    Thanks for your effort . Btw , can you help me with this question ?
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/moments-sign-convention-in-beam.910959/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted