1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A few questions about the Taylor series

1. Feb 2, 2008 #1
    When I tried to learn the Taylor series , I could not comprehend why a infinite series can represent a function

Would anyone be kind enough to teach me the Taylor series? thank you:smile:

PS. I am 18 , having the high school Math knowledge including Calculus

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2008 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Feb 2, 2008 #3
    thank you for your help
    But I dont really got it..
    A function has its own domain and range.... but what is the domain and range of a series?

5. Feb 3, 2008 #4
    you can also consider a serie as a function

[tex] f(x) = \sum_0^{\infty} \frac{f^{(n)(a)}}{n!}(x-a)^n [/tex]

if the sum converges this is nothing but a function, to each x you get a number, namely the sum of the series.

Mayby an example is in place.

Lets say we define a function by

[tex] f(x) = \sum_0^{\infty} (g(x))^n [/tex]

where [tex] g: \mathhb{R} \rightarrow ]0,1[ [/tex], is this series a function you could say. But because the range of g i ]0,1[ this is just the geometric series, that is

[tex] f(x) = \sum_0^{\infty} (g(x))^n = \frac{1}{1-g(x)} [/tex]

so this is indeed a function. So you see that a series is a function if the sum converges. It's although not always possible to find a so simple expression like here for the serie.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  6. Feb 3, 2008 #5
    a little text from wikipedia

The Taylor series need not in general be a convergent series, but often it is. The limit of a convergent Taylor series need not in general be equal to the function value f(x), but often it is. If f(x) is equal to its Taylor series in a neighborhood of a, it is said to be analytic in this neighborhood. If f(x) is equal to its Taylor series everywhere it is called entire.

7. Feb 3, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

?? If a series converges to a function, then it's domain and range are exactly that of the function, of course. A series, depending on a variable x, is a function. You seem to think there is something special about using a series to define a function.

8. Feb 3, 2008 #7
    you are right, but sometimes the taylor series only converges in a neigborhood around the point a, and sometimes it doesn't converges at all. So to say that if the series converges then it is equal to the function is a bit loose, I agree on that for those x where the series converges, then on those x they agree. Actually that is probaly what you meen, but just to make it clear.

9. Feb 3, 2008 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I didn't say that! I said that if a series converges, it is necessarily equal to a function. I didn't say anything about the series being a Taylor's series.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?