Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A few questions about the Taylor series

1. Feb 2, 2008 #1
    When I tried to learn the Taylor series , I could not comprehend why a infinite series can represent a function

Would anyone be kind enough to teach me the Taylor series? thank you:smile:

PS. I am 18 , having the high school Math knowledge including Calculus

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2008 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Feb 2, 2008 #3
    thank you for your help
    But I dont really got it..
    A function has its own domain and range.... but what is the domain and range of a series?

5. Feb 3, 2008 #4
    you can also consider a serie as a function

[tex] f(x) = \sum_0^{\infty} \frac{f^{(n)(a)}}{n!}(x-a)^n [/tex]

if the sum converges this is nothing but a function, to each x you get a number, namely the sum of the series.

Mayby an example is in place.

Lets say we define a function by

[tex] f(x) = \sum_0^{\infty} (g(x))^n [/tex]

where [tex] g: \mathhb{R} \rightarrow ]0,1[ [/tex], is this series a function you could say. But because the range of g i ]0,1[ this is just the geometric series, that is

[tex] f(x) = \sum_0^{\infty} (g(x))^n = \frac{1}{1-g(x)} [/tex]

so this is indeed a function. So you see that a series is a function if the sum converges. It's although not always possible to find a so simple expression like here for the serie.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  6. Feb 3, 2008 #5
    a little text from wikipedia

The Taylor series need not in general be a convergent series, but often it is. The limit of a convergent Taylor series need not in general be equal to the function value f(x), but often it is. If f(x) is equal to its Taylor series in a neighborhood of a, it is said to be analytic in this neighborhood. If f(x) is equal to its Taylor series everywhere it is called entire.

7. Feb 3, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

?? If a series converges to a function, then it's domain and range are exactly that of the function, of course. A series, depending on a variable x, is a function. You seem to think there is something special about using a series to define a function.

8. Feb 3, 2008 #7
    you are right, but sometimes the taylor series only converges in a neigborhood around the point a, and sometimes it doesn't converges at all. So to say that if the series converges then it is equal to the function is a bit loose, I agree on that for those x where the series converges, then on those x they agree. Actually that is probaly what you meen, but just to make it clear.

9. Feb 3, 2008 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I didn't say that! I said that if a series converges, it is necessarily equal to a function. I didn't say anything about the series being a Taylor's series.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?