Looking for references on this form of a Taylor series

In summary, the conversation discusses the Taylor series and its usefulness, particularly in regards to expressing a function as a 3D Fourier transform. The formula for the Taylor series is provided and its validity is confirmed, along with a resource that explains its use in multi-index notation. The conversation also mentions the need for the function to be analytic for the formula to make sense.
Hiero
I was trying to find this form of the Taylor series online:
$$\vec f(\vec x+\vec a) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n!}(\vec a \cdot \nabla)^n\vec f(\vec x)$$
But I can’t find it anywhere. Can someone confirm it’s validity and/or provide any links which mention it? It seems quite powerful to be so obscure; maybe I’m just bad at googling.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is clear that expressing f(x) as a 3D Fourier transform shows this to be true but I don't know whether that is unnecessarily restrictive.

Likes Hiero
I found your formula here in the first line of page 3: https://sites.math.washington.edu/~folland/Math425/taylor2.pdf. You should of course assume that your function is actually analytic for this to make sense (not using a finite sum and error term).

It's equivalent to the usual formulation of Taylor's theorem once you expand out what ##(a\cdot\nabla)^n## means and do the combinatorics.

Likes Hiero
Infrared said:
I found your formula here in the first line of page 3: https://sites.math.washington.edu/~folland/Math425/taylor2.pdf. You should of course assume that your function is actually analytic for this to make sense (not using a finite sum and error term).

It's equivalent to the usual formulation of Taylor's theorem once you expand out what ##(a\cdot\nabla)^n## means and do the combinatorics.
Thank you! Great resource. I had never seen “multi-index” notation before; it’s very useful for this purpose!

I’m impressed by how quickly you found that. I guess I am just bad with google o:)

Take care

1. What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, using derivatives of the function evaluated at a single point.

2. How is a Taylor series useful in scientific research?

A Taylor series can be used to approximate complicated functions and make calculations easier. It is also commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model and analyze physical phenomena.

3. How do I find references for a specific form of a Taylor series?

You can start by searching online databases, such as Google Scholar or JSTOR, using keywords related to your specific form of a Taylor series. You can also consult textbooks, scientific articles, or ask a colleague or professor for recommendations.

4. Are there any limitations to using a Taylor series?

Yes, a Taylor series can only approximate a function within a certain range and may not be accurate for all values. It also assumes that the function is infinitely differentiable, which may not be the case for all functions.

5. Can I use a Taylor series for any type of function?

No, a Taylor series is most commonly used for smooth, continuous functions. It may not be applicable for functions with discontinuities or other complex features.