1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Few Statements on Electricity and Circuits

1. Jun 3, 2009 #1
    I have an upcoming Physics exam and I just want to make sure I want to understand the concepts in case they throw something unprecedented at us:

Can someone please check if the statements I made are right because I'd really like to have a thorough understanding of this concept. It's sometimes the smallest things that get to me in an exam.

~DIRECT CURRENT~

If two light bulbs are connected in series, and one side near the positive end of the supply source is open, all three bulbs will function right if they are a direct current?

If two light bulbs are connected in series, both of them will exhibit the same amount of brightness assuming that they bear the same resistance.

If two light bulbs are connected in series and three are in parallel, then the two in series will obviously be brighter right, whilst the three connected in series won't be because of the fact that they do not have as many electrons flowing in them?

What primarily determines the brightness of the light? Is it the current or the voltage?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2009 #2
    1. Not completely sure what you mean, but you need a closed circuit for dc and ac.

2. Yes

3. I am sure you meant the ones connected in parallel wil burn brighter

4. The brightness is determined by the product of voltage and current called power : P=VxI.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook