A First Course in String Theory.

In summary, the conversation was about finding solutions to the updated second edition of Zwiebach's undergraduate textbook in string theory. The speaker mentioned having a copy of the solutions for the first edition, but was unable to find solutions for the updated version. They also shared their plans to read other textbooks on QFT, GR, and string and lqg theory.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Hi, if you remember back a decade ago we had a discussion on solutions to the first edition of Zwiebach's undergraduate textbook in string theory. (I have a copy of the solutions in my computer).

Does someone have solutions to the updated second edition of the textbook? I tried looking for solutions but to no avail.

I plan after I am done with QFT (I am thinking of also reading Eberhard Ziedler's textbook, though I am kind of worried because I read that for its third volume it has quite a lot of typos, and could irritate espeically when it's a 1000 pages book :cry: (it's sarcastic cry :-)), and GR to start from Zwiebach and Gambini's UG texts in string and lqg.

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

1. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that aims to unify all fundamental forces and particles in the universe by describing them as tiny, vibrating strings. It suggests that the building blocks of the universe are not particles, but rather one-dimensional strings.

2. Who developed string theory?

String theory was first proposed by a group of physicists in the 1960s, including Gabriele Veneziano, Leonard Susskind, and Yoichiro Nambu. However, it was further developed and popularized in the 1980s by physicists Michael Green, John Schwarz, and Edward Witten.

3. How does string theory explain gravity?

String theory suggests that gravity is one of the fundamental forces of nature, along with electromagnetism, the strong nuclear force, and the weak nuclear force. It explains gravity by describing it as the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of massive strings.

4. Can string theory be tested?

Currently, there is no experimental evidence to support string theory, and it remains a highly debated and speculative theory. However, some physicists believe that it may be possible to test certain predictions of string theory through advanced technologies, such as particle colliders and gravitational wave detectors.

5. What are the potential implications of string theory?

If string theory is proven to be true, it would revolutionize our understanding of the universe and potentially lead to new technologies and advances in physics. It could also help to bridge the gap between quantum mechanics and general relativity, two theories that currently do not fully align with each other.