1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: A Frusterating Double-Integral

1. Apr 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Integrate:

[tex]\int \int \frac{1}{[(x_1-x_2)^2+a^2 ]^1^/^2} dx_1 dx_2[/tex]

(The bounds on the first integral are [-L/2, L/2] and the second integral's bounds are the same.)

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I stared at this problem long and hard, and was hoping to use some sort of a trigonometric substitution, but nothing came to mind. I have a suspicion that I might need integral tables to solve this problem, but I might be jumping the gun on this.

I feel like the 'a' variable is throwing a real wrench in the system. If anyone could maybe nudge me in the right direction (if this is solvable without consulting a table) I'd be very appreciative.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2010 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

To get rid of the a we could use a substitution x1-x2=a f(u). This would allow you to move the a in front of the integral sign. We then have a relation of the form 1/sqrt(f(u)^2+1). Now you can find a trigonometric or hyperbolic function for f(u) that obeys f(u)^2+1=g(u)^2. Do you know which one?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook