1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: A Function domain/range question

1. Jul 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Give an example of a function whose domain equals the interval (0,1) but whose range is equal to [0, 1].

2. The attempt at a solution
    I cant see a way how such function would exits. I though about it this way, if it was the opposite Domain [0,1] and range (0, 1), we could make values 0 and 1 into any number in between without it not being a function, and still having a range that is an interval. If I take domain (0, 1) and produce range [0, 1], I would need to take one of the numbers from (0, 1) and make it [0, 1]. Meaning its no longer has an range that is an interval. It could have a range that is an interval if one of numbers (0, 1) had two possible answers, but the example would no longer be a function.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2010 #2
    You don't have to have an equal-measure correspondence between your domain and range.

Try mapping the domain (0,1/2) to the range (0,1). You can do it, right? Now extend the domain to (0,1) and use the endpoints too.

4. Jul 25, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

There is no continuous function that will do map (0, 1) to [0, 1]. I frankly don't see any way to construct a function to fit these conditions that would make sense in a precalculus class. I would separate (0, 1) into rational and irrational numbers, map the irrational numbers to themselves, the "shift" the rationals to fit 0 and 1 in.

5. Jul 25, 2010 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is no continuous, invertible function that maps (0,1) to [0,1]. However, there is no continuous function that maps [0,1] to (0,1).

The problem is, IMO, rather easy as soon as you get past the mental blocks -- e.g. limiting your thought to invertible functions, avoiding piecewise-defined functions, trying to do the whole problem in one shot rather than breaking it into easier pieces, et cetera.

6. Jul 25, 2010 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Consider the function y=x2. It maps the open interval (-1,1) to the half-closed interval [0,1). If you understand how the half-closure comes about in this case, you should be able to figure out a suitable function for your problem.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook