1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A general, if a bit silly a question

1. May 10, 2009 #1
    Hello there, I joined in pondering a pretty weird question.

You see the Space Shuttle being given a "Piggy Back" on NASA's B747-200. But what if someone was to strap a completley standard, non modified 1988 Vauxhall Astra onto the top of a Boeing 747- 400, Take off to a crusing altitude of 30,000 feet at a speed of 535mph with a strong headwind?

A Vauxhall Astra

Vauxhall-Astra-Mk3.jpg

A 747-400

747-400.jpg

a 1 ton car, a 400 ton plane, a car with an 90mph top speed, at 535mph with a strong head wind.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2009 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And? What's your question?

4. May 10, 2009 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It would fly perfectly normally.
    747s can fly trans-atlantic with 3 engines, the drag of a disabled engine is much larger than a car.

5. May 10, 2009 #4
    The question is, what would happen to the car? Its a 1996 too a typoed. Im aware the plane would carry on

6. May 10, 2009 #5
    Quick answer, well, probably the car would be crushed, defragmented, or nothing at all. I mean the car was not designed to "run" in 30,000 feet, with 535 mph. Naturally thinking, that wouldn't be a good experience for the car.
    The real answer is, well, either we do a good stimulation, or we actually do an experiment, or otherwise I don't know.

7. May 10, 2009 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I suspect you'd rip the windshield wipers off, but other than that, it would probably be fine. There is a moderate risk of ripping off any panels that air could get under (like the hood or trunk).

8. May 10, 2009 #7
    This Lincoln only reached 280 mph and you can see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  9. May 11, 2009 #8
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook