A general, if a bit silly a question

• Thread starter Colour_TV
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello there, I joined in pondering a pretty weird question.

You see the Space Shuttle being given a "Piggy Back" on NASA's B747-200. But what if someone was to strap a completley standard, non modified 1988 Vauxhall Astra onto the top of a Boeing 747- 400, Take off to a crusing altitude of 30,000 feet at a speed of 535mph with a strong headwind?

A Vauxhall Astra

Vauxhall-Astra-Mk3.jpg

A 747-400

747-400.jpg

a 1 ton car, a 400 ton plane, a car with an 90mph top speed, at 535mph with a strong head wind.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

dx
Homework Helper
Gold Member
And? What's your question?

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
It would fly perfectly normally.
747s can fly trans-atlantic with 3 engines, the drag of a disabled engine is much larger than a car.

The question is, what would happen to the car? Its a 1996 too a typoed. Im aware the plane would carry on

Quick answer, well, probably the car would be crushed, defragmented, or nothing at all. I mean the car was not designed to "run" in 30,000 feet, with 535 mph. Naturally thinking, that wouldn't be a good experience for the car.
The real answer is, well, either we do a good stimulation, or we actually do an experiment, or otherwise I don't know.

russ_watters
Mentor
I suspect you'd rip the windshield wipers off, but other than that, it would probably be fine. There is a moderate risk of ripping off any panels that air could get under (like the hood or trunk).

This Lincoln only reached 280 mph and you can see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator: