1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Geosynchronus Satellite Problem

1. Oct 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the radius R of the orbit of a geosynchronous satellite that circles the earth. (Note that R is measured from the center of the earth, not the surface.)

2. Relevant equations
    These are what I would assume this equation is gonna use.

F = GmM/r2
    F = mv2/r

gravitational constant G = 6.67*10^-11
    mass of earth = 5.98*10^24 kg
    radius of earth = 6.38*10^6 m

3. The attempt at a solution

Honestly, I am not even sure how i would find this equation without either the height or mass of the satellite, so if someone could please just help me set up the problem I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    ~John

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2009 #2
    For an object to travel in a circular path, like a circular orbit, a force must be exerted on it to maintain that path. In this problem what is that force? (Also I think you meant m*v^2/r not m*v^2/2)

It's also going to be important that you realize that the satellite goes around in its orbit once per day (to stay over the same spot on the earth).

4. Oct 27, 2009 #3
    Yes i did mean that and i fixed it ^_^

Thank you for the start, I will attempt to handle it from here.
    ~John

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook