Energy involving satellite of the Earth

In summary: Correct. The escape velocity is the minimum speed required to escape the gravitational pull of an object. Since the satellite is already in orbit, its speed is less than the escape velocity.
Glenboro

Homework Statement

A satellite of the Earth has a mass of 1550 kg. It orbits Earth with a mean radius of orbit of 7.00 x 10^6 m.

a) What is the gravitational potential energy of the satellite with respect to Earth?

b) What is the kinetic energy and the velocity of the satellite in Earth’s orbit?

c) What is the binding energy of the satellite to Earth?

d) What is the total mechanical energy of the satellite in its orbit?

Homework Equations

PEg = -Gm1m2/R
Vescape = root(2)(G)(m1)/Rm
E binding = 1/2<PEg> in orbit[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

a)PEg = -(6.67 X 10^-11)(5.98 X 10^24)(1550)/(1.338 X 10^7)
= -4.62 X 10^10J

b) Vescape = root(2)(6.67 x 10^-11)(5.98 x 10^24)/(6.38 x 10^6)
= 1.12 x 10^4 m/s
KE = (1/2)(m)(V)^2
KE = (1/2)(1550)(1.12 x 10^4)^2
KE = 9.72 x 10^10J
c) E binding = 1/2<PEg> in orbit
(0.5)(4.62 X 10^10J) = 2.31 x 10^10J

d) I'm not certain which equation I should use for this one

Physics news on Phys.org
Glenboro said:

Homework Statement

A satellite of the Earth has a mass of 1550 kg. It orbits Earth with a mean radius of orbit of 7.00 x 10^6 m.

a) What is the gravitational potential energy of the satellite with respect to Earth?

b) What is the kinetic energy and the velocity of the satellite in Earth’s orbit?

c) What is the binding energy of the satellite to Earth?

d) What is the total mechanical energy of the satellite in its orbit?

Homework Equations

PEg = -Gm1m2/R
Vescape = root(2)(G)(m1)/Rm
E binding = 1/2<PEg> in orbit[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

a)PEg = -(6.67 X 10^-11)(5.98 X 10^24)(1550)/(1.338 X 10^7)
= -4.62 X 10^10J

b) Vescape = root(2)(6.67 x 10^-11)(5.98 x 10^24)/(6.38 x 10^6)
= 1.12 x 10^4 m/s
KE = (1/2)(m)(V)^2
KE = (1/2)(1550)(1.12 x 10^4)^2
KE = 9.72 x 10^10J
c) E binding = 1/2<PEg> in orbit
(0.5)(4.62 X 10^10J) = 2.31 x 10^10J

d) I'm not certain which equation I should use for this one

The total mechanical energy consist of the kinetic energy + the potential energy.
You calculated the kinetic energy form the escape velocity. That is wrong. The satellite is on orbit, so its speed is less.

ehild said:
The total mechanical energy consist of the kinetic energy + the potential energy.
You calculated the kinetic energy form the escape velocity. That is wrong. The satellite is on orbit, so its speed is less.
So for question d) I will just use equation Me = Ke + Pe
and for b) Ke = 1/2<PEg> which is 2.31 x 10^10J or I might be completely off

Glenboro said:
So for question d) I will just use equation Me = Ke + Pe
Glenboro said:
and for b) Ke = 1/2<PEg> which is 2.31 x 10^10J or I might be completely off

KE is not half of the PE. They do not have the same sign.
I do not understand what radius did you use when calculating the PE.

Likes Glenboro
ehild said:
KE is not half of the PE. They do not have the same sign.
I do not understand what radius did you use when calculating the PE.
The radius I used to calculated was (6.38 x 10^6m) The Earth's radius plus 7.00 x 10^6 m from the question. (7.00 x 10^6m)+(6.38 x 10^6) = 1.338 x 10^7 m
Is this what you are referring to? Sorry for making mistake, I actually trying my best

Glenboro said:
The radius I used to calculated was (6.38 x 10^6m) The Earth's radius plus 7.00 x 10^6 m from the question. (7.00 x 10^6m)+(6.38 x 10^6) = 1.338 x 10^7 m
Is this what you are referring to? Sorry for making mistake, I actually trying my best
The 7 106 is not the height above the Earth's surface, it's the radius of orbit, so is measured from the Earth's centre.

haruspex said:
The 7 106 is not the height above the Earth's surface, it's the radius of orbit, so is measured from the Earth's centre.
Oh so to figure out how far it's distance from Earth I had to subtract (6.38 x 10^6m) from 7.00 x 10^6

Glenboro said:
Oh so to figure out how far it's distance from Earth I had to subtract (6.38 x 10^6m) from 7.00 x 10^6
The distance from the Earth surface is irrelevant. The satellite orbits Earth with a mean radius of orbit of 7.00 x 10^6 m. The force between the Earth and satellite and the potential energy depend on the distance from the Earth centre.

ehild said:
The distance from the Earth surface is irrelevant. The satellite orbits Earth with a mean radius of orbit of 7.00 x 10^6 m. The force between the Earth and satellite and the potential energy depend on the distance from the Earth centre.
So I fully realized my error, I should known it was the radius of orbit. I did re-calculation for all questions.
a)PEg = -(6.67x10^-11)(5.98x10^24)(1550)/(7.00 x 10^6)
= -8.83 x10^10J
b) I didn't had to use Vescape formula since it was in orbit
V= root (G)(Me)/R
v= root (6.67x10^-11)(5.98 x10^24)/(7.00 x 10^6)
V = 7.55 x 10^3 m/s
Ke = (0.5)(1550)(7.55 x 10^3)^2
Ke = 4.42 x 10^10J

If this isn't right, I'm dumb :(

Glenboro said:
a)PEg = -(6.67x10^-11)(5.98x10^24)(1550)/(7.00 x 10^6)
Read the question carefully:
Glenboro said:
the gravitational potential energy of the satellite with respect to Earth

haruspex said:
My small mistake, Thanks haruspex

haruspex said:
Can you give me a little hint :( My answers keep getting off

Glenboro said:
Can you give me a little hint :( My answers keep getting off
Did you recalculate the gravitational potential energy?

That velocity you have for part (b) looks more like orbital velocity than escape velocity.

SammyS said:
Did you recalculate the gravitational potential energy?

That velocity you have for part (b) looks more like orbital velocity than escape velocity.
Since it is in orbit, yes I calculated part (b) as orbital velocity.

Glenboro said:
Since it is in orbit, yes I calculated part (b) as orbital velocity.
Oh ! yes, of course, that's right.

Have you corrected you answer to part (a) so the answer is relative to Earth?

What was the satellite's gravitational potential energy when it sat on Earth's surface?

SammyS said:
Oh ! yes, of course, that's right.

Have you corrected you answer to part (a) so the answer is relative to Earth?

What was the satellite's gravitational potential energy when it sat on Earth's surface?
Gravitational potential energy?
PEg = mgh
PEg = (1550kg)(7.00 x 10^6m)(g)

Glenboro said:
Gravitational potential energy?
PEg = mgh
PEg = (1550kg)(7.00 x 10^6m)(g)
That's good for objects very near Earth's surface, and is relative to being exactly at Earth's surface, where h = 0.

At Earth's surface, how far is an object from the center of the earth?

SammyS said:
That's good for objects very near Earth's surface, and is relative to being exactly at Earth's surface, where h = 0.

At Earth's surface, how far is an object from the center of the earth?
Yeah because gravity would not affect much when it's it orbit. Due to distance
At Earth's surface, how far is an object from the centre of the earth?
(7.00 x 10^6m) - (Earth's radius)

Glenboro said:
Yeah because gravity would not affect much when it's it orbit. Due to distance
At Earth's surface, how far is an object from the centre of the earth?
(7.00 x 10^6m) - (Earth's radius)
Let's review part (a) of your question.

Glenboro said:
You have found the gravitational potential energy of the satellite in its orbital position, but that is not with respect to earth. (What is that with respect to?)

What was the satellite's gravitational potential energy when it sat on Earth's surface? That's not in orbit.

SammyS said:
Let's review part (a) of your question.You have found the gravitational potential energy of the satellite in its orbital position, but that is not with respect to earth. (What is that with respect to?)

What was the satellite's gravitational potential energy when it sat on Earth's surface? That's not in orbit.
Would you mind if you can briefly explain how "relative" thing works? I need to put those into my head first :smile:

Glenboro said:
Would you mind if you can briefly explain how "relative" thing works? I need to put those into my head first :smile:
Another way to state the question is as follows:

What is the gravitational potential energy of the satellite in orbit compared to its gravitational potential energy when it was on Earth?​

By how much does it change and does it gain or does it lose potential energy?

SammyS said:
Another way to state the question is as follows:

What is the gravitational potential energy of the satellite in orbit compared to its gravitational potential energy when it was on Earth?​

By how much does it change and does it gain or does it lose potential energy?
That is much better, thanks man

1. What is the role of satellites in Earth's energy production?

Satellites play a crucial role in Earth's energy production by providing valuable data and information on various forms of energy, such as solar, wind, and thermal. They also help in monitoring and managing energy resources, forecasting weather patterns, and studying climate change.

2. How do satellites help in measuring solar energy?

Satellites have specialized sensors and instruments that can accurately measure the amount of solar energy reaching Earth's surface. This data is used to understand the potential of solar energy in different regions and to improve the efficiency of solar energy systems.

3. Can satellites help in monitoring and predicting natural disasters?

Yes, satellites can monitor and predict natural disasters such as hurricanes, tornadoes, and earthquakes by collecting data on weather patterns, land surface changes, and other indicators. This information can help in early warning systems and disaster management.

4. How do satellites contribute to the study of renewable energy sources?

Satellites provide critical data and images for studying and mapping renewable energy sources such as wind and solar farms. This information is used to identify suitable locations for these energy sources and to track their performance and impact on the environment.

5. Can satellites help in reducing energy consumption and promoting sustainability?

Yes, satellites can aid in reducing energy consumption and promoting sustainability by providing data on energy usage, identifying areas of high energy usage, and monitoring changes in land use and deforestation. This information can inform policies and strategies for sustainable energy management.