1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A gong that makes damped oscillation

1. Nov 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A gong makes a loud noise when struck. The noise gradually gets less and less loud until it fades below the sensitivity of the human ear. The simplest model of how the gong produces the sound we hear treats the gong as a damped harmonic oscillator. The tone we hear is related to the frequency f of the oscillation, and its loudness is proportional to the energy of the oscillation.

A. If the loudness drops to 85 % of its original value in 5.0 s , what is the time constant of the damped oscillation?
    B. How long does it take for the sound to be 20 % as loud as it was at the start?
    C. What fraction of the original loudness remains after 1.0 min?
    2. Relevant equations
    Xmax(t)=Ae-t/2τ
    E(t)=E0e-t/τ
    3. The attempt at a solution
    0.85E0=E0e-5/τ
    τ=-5/ln0.85=-30.8s

t=τ⋅ln0.2=49.5s

E1min/E0=e60/30.8=0.14

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Please show your reasoning...

4. Nov 7, 2015 #3
    I am not sure if the formulas that I used here are correct. The data seem to can be plugged in straight away. or not?

5. Nov 8, 2015 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

This is where your reasoning comes in. If you were thinking: "I have a bunch of formulas, I'll just try them out and hope for the best." then this will only be correct by accident.
    Being correct by accident will get you marks but it is much better to be correct on purpose.

You need to read about what the formulas mean and where they come from.
    Better yet, use your understanding of the physics to derive your own: when you understand the physics, you don't need to memorise the formulas.

What does damped harmonic motion usually look like?
    ie. What is the shape of the envelope of the oscillations?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted