1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the time constant of a damped system

1. Jun 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 3.9kg block hangs from a spring with constant 2160 N/m. The block is pulled down 6.2 cm from the equilibrium position and given an initial velocity of 1.5 m/s back towards equilibrium. The mass and spring are now immersed in water to damp the motion, so that the amplitude is reduced to 5% of its original value in 25 seconds. What is the time constant?

2. Relevant equations
    τ=m/b where b is damping constant
    xmax(t)=Ae^-t/2τ

3. The attempt at a solution
    In previous parts of the question I found that the Amplitude (before damping) is 89cm, but I'm not sure if that's useful in this problem. I thought there might be some way to find out what the damping constant is from the fact that it reduces to 5% of A in 25 seconds, and then just plug that into τ=m/b, but I'm not sure how to go about that. Any help would be really appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sounds good to me - what does the equation of damped harmonic motion look like?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted