A good book to introduce information theory?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a good book to learn the basics of information theory. The person asking the question has a second year undergraduate physics level and doesn't mind struggling through the book. Some recommendations are given, including Pierce's book, MacKay's online notes and textbook, and Shannon's original work.
marksman95
Hi all!

I would like to learn the basics of information theory and want a good book to do so.

My math level is that of a second year undergraduate physics student, but I don't mind if I have to struggle a bit through it.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I only know physics books on statistical physics using the information-theoretical approach. My favorites are

Amnon Katz. Principles of Statistical Mechanics. W. H. Freeman and Company, San Francisco and London, 1967.
Arthur Hobson. Concepts in Statistical Mechanics. Gordon and Breach Science Publishers, 2 edition, 1987.

I am not an expert on this subject. But an easy and fun read on this topic is by Pierce:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486240614/?tag=pfamazon01-20
EDIT: I highly recommend Pierce.

David MacKay has some notes and a related textbook online:
http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/mackay/info-theory/course.html
http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/mackay/itila/

Shannon's original work may also be useful:
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/articleDetails.jsp?arnumber=6773024

jason

Shannon's original work, referenced by jason as the original Bell Labs paper, is also available in a paperback that is still in print 50+ years after having been written. It's "the Mathematical Theory of Communication" and is the seminal work in the field. You can get it used on Amazon for less than $20.

1. What is information theory?

Information theory is a branch of mathematics and computer science that studies the quantification, storage, and communication of information. It involves understanding how information is transmitted, received, and processed in various systems.

2. Why is information theory important?

Information theory is important because it provides a mathematical framework for understanding and analyzing communication systems, such as computer networks, telecommunications, and data compression. It also has applications in fields such as cryptography, data science, and artificial intelligence.

3. What are the key concepts in information theory?

Some key concepts in information theory include entropy, information content, channel capacity, and coding theory. Entropy measures the amount of uncertainty in a message, information content quantifies the amount of information in a message, channel capacity determines the maximum rate of information that can be reliably transmitted, and coding theory studies the efficient representation and transmission of information.

4. Can you recommend a good book to introduce information theory?

Yes, one highly recommended book is "Information Theory, Inference, and Learning Algorithms" by David MacKay. It provides a comprehensive and accessible introduction to information theory, with examples and applications in various fields.

5. What background knowledge is needed to understand information theory?

A basic understanding of mathematics, probability, and computer science is helpful in understanding information theory. Some familiarity with concepts such as logarithms, probability distributions, and algorithms can aid in comprehending the concepts and equations used in information theory.