1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[A-level]Latent Heat Question, Help!

1. Jan 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The specific latent heat of vaporization of water at 28[tex]\circ[/tex]C is 2.3 x 106JKg-1. It has been estimated that 1.2 x 1012 m3 of water is evaporated per day from the Earth's surface.

Given that the density of water is 1 x 103 kgm-3calculate the energy required to evaporate this volume of water.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm thinking since the water is just evaporating and not boiling, the energy needed would be the heat required to just evaporate the water:

EH=mwater x latent heat
    =2.67 x 1018J

But this is wrong. I realize I have not used the density of water but I do not know how to apply it. Is this question asking me to find the increase in internal energy?

In any case the volume of water is 1.02 x 109m3.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

What did you use for the mass of water? You need to find the mass using mwater=ρV

4. Jan 12, 2010 #3
    :frown:

I cannot believe I made such a silly mistake. For some reason I always saw the volume as the mass.

Anyways I got the correct answer now. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook