Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A little Bra-Ket notation theorem that I don't get

1. Feb 27, 2013 #1
    I'm continuing through Dirac's book, The Principles of Quantum Mechanics. You can view this as a google book in the link below.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=...page&q&f=false [Broken]

On page 28-29 he proves this Theorem:

If ξ is a real linear operator and

ξm|P> = 0 (1)

for a particular ket |P>, m being a positive integer, then

ξ|P> = 0

And the proof is fine by me except for the first part where he says:

put m = 2 then (1) gives

<P|ξ2|P> = 0 (2)

and goes on to prove it by induction. But I don't see how (2) is 'given' from (1).

Can anyone explain?

If he is relying on assuming (1) is true for some ket |P> and positive integer m, then I just pick m = 1 and it's not a theorem. And besides, in this case he never demonstrates a definite example of the statement being true, which you need to do in induction.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2013 #2
    By the way I do understand that because ξ is a real linear operator that the conjugate to ξ|P> is <P|ξ so that you can write <P|ξξ|P>, but I don't see that it follows this is equal to zero.

4. Feb 27, 2013 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Link doesn't work for me.

Are there any conditions on [itex]\xi[/itex]? If you only assume it to be a real linear operator, then I think I can find counterexamples to the statement.

5. Feb 27, 2013 #4
  6. Feb 27, 2013 #5

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The assumption is that for some positive integer m, equation (8) holds.
    Clearly, if m = 1 the statement is trivial, so he considers m = 2 as the base case.

So first he proves that if ξ²|P> = 0, then ξ|P> = 0. The reasoning is as follows: assume ξ²|P> = 0. <P| is a linear operator, so <P|0 = 0. Hence, <P|ξ²|P> = 0. However, instead of looking at that expression as <P| applied to ξ²|P>, you can also view it as <P|ξ applied to ξ|P>. Since ξ is real, <P|ξ = <P|ξ*, so what you have is really || ξ|P> ||² (the length of ξ|P>) which can only be zero if ξ|P> is zero.

Then he shows that if it is not given that ξ²|P> = 0 but ξm|P> = 0 for some higher m, it can be reduced to the m = 2 case from which we have just shown that the m = 1 case follows.

7. Feb 27, 2013 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That is not really true, is it??

Anyway, a counterexample is given by

[tex]A=\left(\begin{array}{cc} 0 & 1\\ 0 & 0\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Then [itex]A^2 = 0[/itex], but [itex]A\neq 0[/itex]. So take, for example, |P> = (0,1) and the theorem is false.

8. Feb 27, 2013 #7

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good point.
    It's been a while, wasn't it ξ|P> = <P|ξ?
    So you need A = A := (A*)tr, in other words, for ξ to be Hermitian.

9. Feb 27, 2013 #8
    Compuchip,

So you mean to say that the theorem should specify m > 1 since otherwise you allow the trivial solution? It might be a silly detail but I find things more confusing when they are not stated rigorously.

In any case I think I get it now thanks to you.

10. Feb 27, 2013 #9

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't have to: it is also true for m = 1, but trivially so, as you say. However, if you want to prove it for all m then this case doesn't help you, so you need to consider m = 2 as the base case.

11. Feb 27, 2013 #10

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, you need [itex]\xi[/itex] to be Hermitian. Or since [itex]\xi[/itex] is already real, you need it to be symmetric.
    Or a little more general, if [itex]\xi[/itex] is normal (= commutes with its adjoint), then it holds. But it fails for more general operators.

12. Feb 27, 2013 #11

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Oh, apparently Dirac uses the term "real linear operator" to mean "self-adjoint operator". In that case, the theorem holds true, of course. But it's a weird terminology...

13. Feb 27, 2013 #12
    If ξ is real then it equals it's own adjoint, and on page 28 Dirac remarks that if ξ is real than so is ξξ, so if you can take that at face value then ξ must commute with it's adjoint.

14. Feb 27, 2013 #13
    Ah, you got in before me.

Ok thanks both of you for helping me out.

Cheers

15. Feb 27, 2013 #14

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi micromass,

Dirac wrote his QM book in 1930, before the terminology imposed in functional analysis through M.H.Stone's 1932 book appeared. He did review his QM book and 3 more editions appeared, but the mathematical terminology was not adjusted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook