Bra-ket notation and qubit issue.

In summary: So, a wave is something more general than a state of a two-dimensional system.In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of the ket notation in quantum computing and understanding the concept of superposition. The conversation touches on the application of gates to superposition states, the definition of superposition, and the relationship between eigenstates and probabilities. The conversation also mentions the use of perpendicular states and the concept of waves in quantum systems.
Relative0
I am having trouble understanding the following:

Uf: |x>|y> → |x>|y [itex]\oplus[/itex]f(x)>

[itex]\oplus[/itex] being a mod 2 operation (nand)? I suppose I don't understand how to read the "ket" states so well. As far as I understand we have that since x and y can be 0,1 only if |x=1>|y=1> then if f(x) = 1 then |y [itex]\oplus[/itex] f(x)> would come out to be → |1>|0>

but the main part is that if we are dealing with a quantum computer then we can chose the input state to the a superposition of |0> and |1>. That if the second qubit is initially prepared in the state 1/[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex](|0> - |1> then... The issue is with this equation in that how does |0> - |1> mean superposition? This is the part of the bra-ket notation that I don't understand

Physics news on Phys.org
Relative0 said:
the main part is that if we are dealing with a quantum computer then we can chose the input state to the a superposition of |0> and |1>. That if the second qubit is initially prepared in the state 1/[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex](|0> - |1> then... The issue is with this equation in that how does |0> - |1> mean superposition? This is the part of the bra-ket notation that I don't understand
What definition of superposition do you use then?

If you want to apply your gate U to a superposition |x1 y1>+|x2 y2>, you can simply apply it to each term because of the linearity of U. So U(|x1 y1>+|x2 y2>) = U|x1 y1> + U|x2 y2>

Last edited:
Thanks kith. Well as far as superposition goes - I am not quite sure of the definition he (Preskill) is using in his Notes: www.theory.caltech.edu/people/preskill/ph229/notes/book.ps‎

I am guessing just some sort of overlap of states that is treated as a vector space. I say this as he talks about states being "ray's" in a Hilbert space. That these rays are vectors. He does say that every ray corresponds to a possible state so that given two spaces |θ>, |ψ> we can create a state a|θ> + b|ψ> by the superposition principle as he puts it (Pg. 38).

Is it just that the states |0> and |1> are perpendicular and thus 1/sqrt(2) is the normalization? I.e. in 2-D Euclidean space we would have 1x + 0y being denoted as |0> and 0x + 1y as |1> hence the distance between them is sqrt((1-0)^2 + (0-1)^2) = sqrt(2)?

He has something similar where |cat> = 1/sqrt(2) [itex]\cdot[/itex] |dead> + |alive> so since these are distinct (can't be both dead and alive) we have that they are perpendicular hence the normalization of 1/sqrt(2).

I suppose I am looking for a better understanding of |0> + |1>. are these indeed considered perpendicular? But furthermore I am somehow looking at a probability density in |0> and |1> respectively? So I would be looking at some sort of superposition of two perpendicular waves?

Thanks,

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
Relative0 said:
I.e. in 2-D Euclidean space we would have 1x + 0y being denoted as |0> and 0x + 1y as |1> hence the distance between them is sqrt((1-0)^2 + (0-1)^2) = sqrt(2)?
Yes.

Relative0 said:
I suppose I am looking for a better understanding of |0> + |1>. are these indeed considered perpendicular?
Yes. |0> and |1> are eigenstates of a certain self-adjoint operator which corresponds to a physical quantity (usually spin). Such eigenstates have the property of being perpendicular.

Relative0 said:
But furthermore I am somehow looking at a probability density in |0> and |1> respectively?
Why a probability density? Do you know how probabilities are related to superpositions? Do you know the postulates of QM?

Relative0 said:
So I would be looking at some sort of superposition of two perpendicular waves?
Waves belong to infinite-dimensional spaces while our space is two-dimensional.

1. What is bra-ket notation?

Bra-ket notation is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent quantum states. It consists of two parts: a bra, denoted by <a|, which represents the complex conjugate of a vector, and a ket, denoted by |b>, which represents the vector itself.

2. How is bra-ket notation used in quantum mechanics?

Bra-ket notation is used to represent quantum states, such as the position or momentum of a particle. It is also used to represent quantum operators, which act on quantum states to produce new quantum states.

3. What is a qubit?

A qubit, short for quantum bit, is the basic unit of quantum information. It is the quantum equivalent of a classical bit, which can have a value of either 0 or 1. Qubits can exist in a superposition of both 0 and 1, allowing for more information to be stored and processed.

4. How is the qubit issue addressed in quantum computing?

The qubit issue refers to the challenge of maintaining and manipulating the fragile quantum states of qubits in a quantum computer. This is addressed through the use of quantum error correction techniques, which help to protect and preserve the quantum information in qubits.

5. What are some potential applications of qubits and quantum computing?

Qubits and quantum computing have the potential to revolutionize many fields, such as cryptography, simulation, and optimization. They could also lead to advancements in drug discovery, materials science, and artificial intelligence.