A*log(b), Separating the two variables

• Thread starter fettapetta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variables
In summary, the original equation can be rewritten as f(D,K,b)=g(b,c,z) using the logarithmic property, but it is not possible to isolate D and K on one side of the equation while keeping the other variables on the other side.
fettapetta
Hi!

I have a problem with the following equation:

log(D)-b*log(K) = b*log(z)-log(c)

I would like to get D and K on one side of the equal to sign, so that:

f(D,K) = g(b, c, z)

Is this possible?

Peter

Mathematics news on Phys.org
fettapetta said:
Hi!

I have a problem with the following equation:

log(D)-b*log(K) = b*log(z)-log(c)

I would like to get D and K on one side of the equal to sign, so that:

f(D,K) = g(b, c, z)

Is this possible?

Peter

Sure. It's always true that [itex]n\log_ax=\log_a(x^n)\,[/itex] , so [tex]\log D-b\log K=\log D-\log K^b=\log\left(\frac{D}{K^b}\right)[/tex]

DonAntonio

DonAntonio said:
Sure. It's always true that [itex]n\log_ax=\log_a(x^n)\,[/itex] , so [tex]\log D-b\log K=\log D-\log K^b=\log\left(\frac{D}{K^b}\right)[/tex]

DonAntonio

But this gives the function in the sense, f(D,K,b)=g(b,z,c), contrary to what the OP is asking.

I couldn't find a way to get only D and K on one side of the equality and rest of the variables on the other side, so I'm really curious about this one...

1. What is the purpose of separating the variables in A*log(b)?

The purpose of separating the variables in A*log(b) is to make the equation easier to solve. By separating the variables, we can isolate and manipulate each variable individually, making it easier to find a solution.

2. How do you separate the variables in A*log(b)?

To separate the variables in A*log(b), we use the properties of logarithms. We can rewrite the equation as log(b^A), and then use the power rule to separate the variables. This means we can take the exponent A and move it in front of the logarithm as a coefficient.

3. Why is it important to separate the variables in A*log(b)?

Separating variables in A*log(b) allows us to solve for specific values or relationships between the variables. It also allows us to manipulate the equation to find different solutions or simplify the problem.

4. Can you solve A*log(b) without separating the variables?

Yes, it is possible to solve A*log(b) without separating the variables. However, separating the variables makes the problem easier to solve and can also provide more information about the relationship between the variables.

5. Are there any limitations to separating the variables in A*log(b)?

One limitation of separating variables in A*log(b) is that it can only be done if the base of the logarithm is positive. If the base is negative, the logarithm is undefined and cannot be separated. Additionally, separating variables may not always provide a unique solution for the equation.