Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B How to compare two huge numbers with nested exponentials?

1. Apr 18, 2016 #1
    Let's say we have two numbers represented as a "tower" of exponentials, a^b^c^d and w^x^y^z (powers calculated right to left) and we want to compare them, not necessarily calculating their values. Their values are so huge, they can't be represented on a computer or calculator. Is it possible to use logarithms to compare them? I know that it is possible for a simple case, say, a^b and x^y. We can apply log to both sides and then compare b log a and y log x. But what about nested powers? We can represent log(a^b^c) as b^c log a. But what if b^c is still huge. Can we continue and end up with something like c* log(b) * log(a)? A quick test shows that this is probably not going to work. Any ideas? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2016 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

log(bc⋅log(a)) = c⋅log(b)+log(log(a)) , not what you have.

4. Apr 18, 2016 #3
    Ah, right, thank you. So do you think the general approach is otherwise correct?

Let's say in c⋅log(b)+log(log(a)) c is not just c but to the power of d. I am not sure, would I need to apply log to the sum? In other words, is there a general approach to get rid of all the nested exponentials by applying log consecutively? I am not sure what to do here:
    log( cd⋅log(b)+log(log(a)))

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  5. Apr 18, 2016 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Once you have that sum, taking the log doesn't help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted