A logical question i tried to solve using VEN

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
In summary, by adding the statement "every non white bear is gray" to the given data, we can conclude that all bears are polar bears because it implies that only polar bears are white and all non-white bears must be gray, leaving no room for the existence of any other type of bear.
transgalactic
data:
A.there are no grey bears
B.only polar bears are white

which of this following claims when added to the data leads us to the conclution
that all bears are a polar bears?

1.every non white bear is gray
2.all the polar bears are white
3.there are no black polar bears
4.each bear which is not a polar bear
is black

i tried to make a ven diagram
but i don't know whether i did it ok
or what to do next

http://img354.imageshack.us/my.php?image=16529534ax0.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
transgalactic said:
data:
A.there are no grey bears
B.only polar bears are white

which of this following claims when added to the data leads us to the conclution
that all bears are a polar bears?

4.each bear which is not a polar bear
is black

i tried to make a ven diagram
but i don't know whether i did it ok
or what to do next

http://img354.imageshack.us/my.php?image=16529534ax0.gif

You've categorized all white things as polar bears, which isn't correct. Of things that are white, only some are polar bears, and this should be reflected in an intersection between "white things" and "bears"

regor60 said:
You've categorized all white things as polar bears, which isn't correct.

Actually, he's got it correct given the somewhat strange wording. It says "only polar bears are white", but it does not say "the only bears that are white are polar bears". The former would indicate that NOTHING else is white-- ONLY polar bears. So there's no white birds, white socks, white paper. Only white polar bears.

Actually, the wording also doesn't preclude non-white polar bears. IE, it says that the only bears which can be white (but aren't necessarily so) are polar bears. Hence, if you see a white bear, you be assured that it's a polar bear. But seeing a polar bear doesn't mean it's going to be white, and likewise seeing a green bear doesn't mean it's NOT a polar bear.

As for the OP:

This means that since (for example) grizzly bears aren't polar bears, they CANNOT be white. And therefore, must be gray. However, we already know that no bears are gray, so grizzly bears cannot exist. In fact, the only things that can exist are white polar bears. So that's the answer they're looking for.

See, here the meaning is that *all* polar bears are white, rather than just some. And that's fine-- it just tells us that there aren't any non-white polar bears. There could still be (say) brown grizzly bears.

Ok. Now we know that polar bears can be any color except black. But it says nothing of our brown grizzly bear, who can still exist just fine.

4.each bear which is not a polar bear is black

Well, our brown grizzly bear can't exist, but a black one could. With this piece of information, we know that all non-polar bears are black, and polar bears are the only ones who can be other colors. So if you see a bear that's not black, you know it's a polar bear. But if you see a black bear, it could be a polar bear, or a grizzly bear, or any other kind of bear.

DaveE

thanks

1. What is VEN?

VEN stands for Virtual Environment Network and it is a software tool commonly used by scientists and researchers to simulate and analyze complex systems. It allows for the creation of virtual environments with multiple variables and interactions, making it useful for solving logical questions.

2. How does VEN work?

VEN works by inputting data and parameters into a virtual environment and running simulations to observe how the system behaves. It uses mathematical models and algorithms to analyze the data and provide insights into the logical question being studied.

3. Can VEN be used for any type of logical question?

VEN is a versatile tool that can be used for a wide range of logical questions, from understanding biological systems to predicting economic trends. However, it is important to note that VEN is not a one-size-fits-all solution and may not be suitable for every type of logical question.

4. Is VEN user-friendly for scientists without a strong background in computer science?

VEN has a user-friendly interface that allows scientists to easily input data and run simulations without needing a strong background in computer science. However, a basic understanding of programming and mathematical models is recommended for more complex simulations and analyses.

5. Are there any limitations to using VEN?

Like any software tool, VEN has some limitations. It may not be able to accurately simulate extremely complex systems or provide definitive answers to all logical questions. It is important to carefully consider the data and parameters used in VEN and to interpret the results with caution.