1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A magnetic induction question

1. Dec 10, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A square of edge a lies in the xy plane with the origin at its center. Find the value of the magnetic induction at any point on the z axis when a current I' circulates around the square.

2. Relevant equations
    B=u/4pi * lineint[(I'*ds' x R)/R^3)]

3. The attempt at a solution

I guess you've got the 4 different sides of the square, I assumed by "circulating" it meant it goes around, so opposite sides the current is going opposite directions. The way I did this, let's say it's going around counter-clockwise, for the side on the right running parallel to the x axis with the current travelling in the positive x direction...
    (capital letters = unit vectors)
    ds' X R = -(zY+a/2*Z)dx'

R^3 = (x'^2+a^2/4+z^2)^(3/2)

so when I integrate that, I'm just gonna say k=uI'/4pi and...

is my approach even right? I carefully repeated that for all 4 sides and added them, but didn't get the right answer(I don't have the "answer" per se, rather just the value in the middle of the square, which I didn't get right)
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are starting in the right place. I'm having a bit of trouble sorting out your substitutions, so I'm going to leave the work up to you. I did a similar problem recently, so I know what the integral looks like. You should have the equivalent of

[tex] B = \frac{{\mu _o IR}}{{4\pi }}\int_{ - a/2}^{a/2} {\frac{{ds}}{{\left( {R^2 + s^2 } \right)^{3/2} }}} [/tex]

for each wire, where my R is the distance from the center of the wire to the point on the z axis where B is being calculated. R is independent of s. The integral gives you

[tex] B = \frac{{\mu _o I}}{{4\pi }} {\frac{a}{{R \sqrt {R^2 + \left( {a/2} \right)^2 } }}} [/tex]
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?