A man strikes a 460. Hz tuning fork and moves away from you

In summary, the man strikes a tuning fork and moves away from the observer at a constant velocity of 3.80 m/s. The beat frequency they hear is 455Hz.
Student3.41

Homework Statement

A man strikes a 460. Hz tuning fork and moves away from you and towards the blackboard at a constant velocity of 3.80 m/s. What beat frequency do you hear if the velocity of sound on that day is 340 m/s?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the source is moving away from a stationary observer, we write;

fo= (1/1+Vs/V) * fs

fo= (1/1.011)(460Hz)
fo= 455Hz

SO, fo= 455Hz, fs=460Hz

Now we find the beat frequency, we write;

fbeat= |f1-f2|=5.00Hz (This was wrong)

---> Not sure what I am missing.. please help. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Noone?

You had everything right. Except the sign on the bottom. Given the fact that the source is moving TOWARDS the observer the sign on the bottom should be negative whereas you have it positive. That should make the difference...

thst1003 said:
You had everything right. Except the sign on the bottom. Given the fact that the source is moving TOWARDS the observer the sign on the bottom should be negative whereas you have it positive. That should make the difference...

"moves away from you and towards the blackboard ", so the source being the teacher is not moving towards you(observer) he is moving away from the observer in this problem... Even if he was moving towards you that still equals 465Hz which would result in a 5.0Hz beat frequency.

You are right. I overlooked that. I am betting that your answer is correct. The difference could possibly attributed to the fact that the speed of sound can vary. Sorry about my incorrect answer.

i actually had to find two frequencies using too different equations because the sound bounces off the black board and moves towards the observer. Also, when he moves away from the observer. Solved them equations and found the beat frequency

Perhaps you need to calculate something dealing with the speed of sound... I can't remember this stuff. It was a while ago.

1. What is a tuning fork?

A tuning fork is a small metal instrument with two prongs that produces a specific musical tone when struck.

2. What does 460 Hz mean?

460 Hz refers to the frequency of the sound wave produced by the tuning fork. In other words, it is the number of vibrations per second that the prongs of the tuning fork make when struck.

3. Why does the man strike the tuning fork and move away?

The man strikes the tuning fork in order to produce sound waves. By moving away from the tuning fork, he is able to demonstrate the concept of sound waves traveling through space.

4. Will the sound from the tuning fork eventually fade away as the man moves away?

Yes, the sound from the tuning fork will eventually fade away as the man moves away. This is because sound waves gradually lose energy as they travel through space, resulting in a decrease in volume.

5. How does the frequency of the sound change as the man moves away?

The frequency of the sound remains the same as the man moves away. This is because the frequency of a sound wave is determined by the source, in this case the tuning fork, and does not change as it travels through space.