What is the period of the loaded tuning fork?

In summary, when a tuning fork is loaded with wax, the added mass causes it to vibrate at a lower frequency. This is because the added mass affects the relationship between the restoring force and the weight of the fork, causing the tine to vibrate slower. This is a general principle observed in oscillators and can be explained by the equation F=M*a, where an increase in mass results in a decrease in frequency.
blue.flake
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
Two identical tuning forks vibrate at 256 Hz. One of them is then loaded with a drop of wax, after which 6 beats/s are heard. The period of the loaded tuning fork is?

So, as the uploaded pictures shows, I did solve the problem, but I'm not sure why the f1 frequency is bigger than f2. I mean how can I be sure which one should I subtract from the other?
1.PNG

edit: yeah i just noticed i messed up the unit for the period, I'm sorry..

Physics news on Phys.org
A tuning fork will vibrate at a lower frequency when loaded.

thank you, but can you explain to me why exactly?

In simple terms, the fork's material has a solid material shape which if deformed, e.g. if a tine is struck, it will tend to "bounce back" to its original shape. This occurs with a restoring force due to the structure and shape of the fork. Each tine of the fork has weight. The relationship between the restoring force and the weight determines the frequency. Adding the wax does not change the way the fork's restoring energy works, it only adds mass to the system. From general knowledge of oscillators mass loaded vibrators such as spring systems or just by thinking about F=M*a (recall M increases but F stays the same) you can generalize that the extra mass will make the tine vibrate slower.

thank you so much ^_^

1. What is a sound wave?

A sound wave is a type of mechanical wave that is created by vibrations and travels through a medium, such as air, water, or solid objects. It is the disturbance of particles in the medium that causes a sound wave to travel.

2. What is frequency?

Frequency is a measure of how many waves pass through a point in a given amount of time. In the context of sound waves, it refers to the number of sound waves that pass through a point in one second. The unit of frequency is hertz (Hz).

3. How does frequency affect sound?

The frequency of a sound wave determines its pitch. Higher frequency sound waves have a higher pitch, while lower frequency sound waves have a lower pitch. For example, a high-pitched sound like a whistle has a higher frequency than a low-pitched sound like a bass drum.

4. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength?

Frequency and wavelength are inversely related. This means that as frequency increases, wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: frequency (f) = speed of the wave (v) / wavelength (λ).

5. How is frequency measured?

Frequency is typically measured using a device called a frequency counter, which counts the number of wave cycles per second. Another common method is to use an oscilloscope, which displays the wave pattern and allows for measurement of the time between wave peaks.