1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Mass Hanging From Multiple Strings

1. Oct 20, 2008 #1
    A mass of 6 kg is hanging from a string, named string 3. The top of this string is connected to to other strings, string one which goes straight to the left to connect with a wall, and string two which connects to the ceiling making a 40 degree angle between the ceiling and the string. The problem is asking for the tension of string 2.
    The available answers are:

EDIT: Will try and provide a picture when possible.

a) 1.2 N
    b) 11 N
    c) 34 N
    d) 3.5 N
    e) 40 N

I thought I could solve the problem by considering each string a vector, representing the force of each. Since there is no movement, the sum of the Forces should equal 0.
    So , T1+T2+T3=0

I figure the force of T3 to be the F_g, which should be 6 *9.8=58.8 N

Using this I then came up with the following
    T1*cos(180)+T2*cos(40)+58.8*cos(270) = 0

I figured I could use the second equation most easily, since the sin(180)=0.

So, I came up with 0+(.643)T2+58.8=0
    Of course, this is nowhere close to any of the available answers, and I can't seem to wrap my head around any other way of doing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Assuming your description is accurate, the available answers are way off.

Your method is perfectly fine. You did make a sign error, but otherwise your answer is correct. (What is sin(270)?)
  4. Oct 20, 2008 #3
    Ahhh, yes, sorry, 58.8 * -1. Thank you for that. I guess I'll just have to discuss it with the teacher. Thanks!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?