Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Mathematician's Apology. great read

1. Sep 7, 2007 #1
    General Info.
    A Mathematician's Apology is a 1940 essay by British mathematician G. H. Hardy. It concerns the aesthetics of mathematics with some personal content, and gives the layman an insight into the mind of a working mathematician. It is, however, a very individual view as Hardy's opinions are not universally held by mathematicians.

These are just excerpts from the essay. its a great read, honestly, picky ANY paragraph and start reading, you'll see what I mean.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2007 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please don't copy/paste large swaths of text. Instead, provide links to the material!

4. Sep 8, 2007 #3
    The recent book called 'Advice to a young mathematician' by Ian Stewart claims to be a book just like Hardy's book but written in modern times and says that times have changed from Hardy's days. For one, mathematicians are much more busy sending half of their time teaching and half researching. Instead of Hardy's half reseraching and half playing sports.

5. Sep 8, 2007 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, of course they have. In the 1940s in England there was a war going on, for a start. And of course that influenced Hardy's views on the uses (and abuses) of mathematics.

But the good thing about maths, compared with other subjects, is you can do research and play sport at the same time!

BTW I read Hardy when I was at school, but I haven't read that book by Stewart - though I have read several of his other books.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?