1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A matrix question(simple one i suppose)

1. Feb 23, 2006 #1
    I have th following matrix and I am suppose to determine whether the matrix is in row-echelon form(R-E), reduced row-echelon(R-RE) form, both, or neither..

I know the following about R-R-E
    * If there is a row of all 0's there at the bottom of the matrix
    * The upper left most number has to be a 1
    * the following number below it has to be to the right of the leading 1 has to be a 1..
    * in R-RE any number above the 1 and below have to be 0..
    - For R-E they have to be only below the 1 not above it..
    all right,
    So here is the matrix:
    1 2 0 3 0
    0 0 1 1 0
    0 0 0 0 1
    0 0 0 0 0

The book shows the answer as being both a R-R-E and R-E.
    I disagree because the 1 below the 3, if it were in R-R-E, that 3 would have to be a 0. Therefore, I believe it is in R-E form. Am I correct in my reasoning?
    thanks in advance..

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2006 #2
    This is what PlanetMath has to say about R-E:

A matrix is said to be in row echelon form if each non-zero row has more leading zeros than the previous row

So, your argument that the 3 has to be a 0 would even kill that and you would have neither.

Further more, PlanetMath says this about R-R-E:

For a matrix to be in reduced row echelon form it has to first satisfy the requirements to be in row echelon form and additionally satisfy the following requirements:

The first non-zero element in any row must be 1.
    The first element of value 1 in any row must the only non-zero value in its column.

Now, look at these arguments. Can you tell why your matrix is indeed R-R-E?

4. Feb 23, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Notice the word the in "the 1". It does not say "each 1 in the row". That clearly refers to the leading 1 in the row, not the second 1.

5. Feb 23, 2006 #4
    doh! I see said the blind man to his deaf wife.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?