1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A moderate force will break an egg

Tags:
  1. Apr 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A moderate force will break an egg. However, an egg dropped on the road usually breaks, while one dropped on the grass usually does not break. This difference is because for the egg dropped on the grass:

A- The change in momentum is greater
    B- The change in momentum is less
    C- The time interval for stopping is greater
    D- The time interval for stopping is less
    E- The change in velocity is less

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that A is incorrect, and I don't think that C would be correct either since the velocity should remain the same. So I was thinking that it could be B or C but am unsure?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2008 #2
    How do you reckon falling on a "nest" of intertwined grass will change the time interval of impact?

4. Apr 21, 2008 #3
    I just thought the grass might slow it down a bit? Am I wrong?

5. Apr 21, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Not at all. Keep going. How is force related to momentum? Hint: Are you familiar with impulse?

6. Apr 21, 2008 #5
    I am not too good at this, but in the book it says that:

The change in an object's momentum divided by the elapsed time equals the constant net force acting on the object.

I thought that the grass would slow down the egg, which would mean the interval for stopping is greater making the force less. That is only what I am thinking, not sure if I am correct.

7. Apr 21, 2008 #6
    not make the force less, more the impulse.. but you're right.

8. Apr 21, 2008 #7

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You are exactly right. So which is the correct answer?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?