A moderate force will break an egg

In summary, the difference in whether an egg breaks when dropped on the road or grass is due to the change in momentum and the time interval for stopping. The grass slows the egg down, resulting in a greater time interval for stopping and a smaller force acting on the egg. This means that the correct answer is D - The time interval for stopping is less.
21ducks

Homework Statement

A moderate force will break an egg. However, an egg dropped on the road usually breaks, while one dropped on the grass usually does not break. This difference is because for the egg dropped on the grass:

A- The change in momentum is greater
B- The change in momentum is less
C- The time interval for stopping is greater
D- The time interval for stopping is less
E- The change in velocity is less

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that A is incorrect, and I don't think that C would be correct either since the velocity should remain the same. So I was thinking that it could be B or C but am unsure?

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you reckon falling on a "nest" of intertwined grass will change the time interval of impact?

I just thought the grass might slow it down a bit? Am I wrong?

21ducks said:
I just thought the grass might slow it down a bit? Am I wrong?
Not at all. Keep going. How is force related to momentum? Hint: Are you familiar with impulse?

I am not too good at this, but in the book it says that:

The change in an object's momentum divided by the elapsed time equals the constant net force acting on the object.

I thought that the grass would slow down the egg, which would mean the interval for stopping is greater making the force less. That is only what I am thinking, not sure if I am correct.

not make the force less, more the impulse.. but you're right.

21ducks said:
I thought that the grass would slow down the egg, which would mean the interval for stopping is greater making the force less. That is only what I am thinking, not sure if I am correct.
You are exactly right. So which is the correct answer?

1. How does a moderate force break an egg?

When a moderate force is applied to an egg, it causes a crack in the shell. This crack weakens the structure of the shell, allowing the force to break through it.

2. Why can't a gentle force break an egg?

An egg's shell is very strong and can withstand gentle forces. It takes a certain amount of force to create a crack in the shell and break it.

3. Can a strong force break an egg more easily?

Yes, a strong force can break an egg more easily than a moderate force. This is because a strong force has more energy and can create a larger crack in the shell, making it easier to break.

4. What happens to the egg's contents when it breaks?

When an egg breaks, the contents inside the shell spill out. This includes the yolk and egg white, which can be used for cooking or baking.

5. Is the force applied to the egg the only factor in breaking it?

No, there are other factors that can affect how easily an egg breaks, such as the strength of the shell, the angle at which the force is applied, and the temperature of the egg. These factors can all play a role in how easily the egg will break with a certain force.