1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A(n+1) = An + 1/(5^n) sequence

1. Apr 7, 2009 #1
    So, couple sequence questions!

Converge or Diverge?
    A(n+1) = An + 1/(5^n) (recursive sequence)

That should read a sub n plus one equals a sub n plus one over 5 to the n

I believe it converges, but would like to be sure.

2. sigma from 1 to infinity of:
    (1+5/n)^n
    That should read the summation from n equals 1 to infinity of one plus 5 over n quantity to the n-th power. I believe this diverges, but would like to be sure.

Thank you in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2009 #2
    Re: Sequences!

If you have any working I can help you more. What tests do you know about?

4. Apr 8, 2009 #3

For a) If [tex] A_{n+1} = A_n + \frac{1}{5^n} [/tex] then [tex] A_{n+1} - A_n = \frac{1}{5^n} [/tex]. Can you prove that this is a Cauchy sequence?

For b) First prove that [tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} (1 + c/n)^n = e^c [/tex]. Now, if the summand of the series doesn't have a limit of zero, what can you say about the convergence/divergence of the series?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  5. Apr 8, 2009 #4

So doesn't b diverge if you use the n term test?

And a converges to what, 6? Not sure what a Cauchy sequence is

6. Apr 8, 2009 #5

For b, are you familiar with the root test?

7. Apr 8, 2009 #6

Nope, but doesn't e^inf not equal 0 meaning it diverges?

8. Apr 8, 2009 #7

The root test says that if the limit of the sequence raised to the power 1/n gives a result which is < 1, the series converges.
    If the result is > 1, the series diverges.
    If the result = 1, it can't be determined by this test whether the series converges or diverges.

9. Apr 8, 2009 #8

Doesn't n-term work?

10. Apr 9, 2009 #9

I don't know if the test I'm talking about is usually called the n-term test but if the summand doesn't have a limit of zero, then the series diverges.

And a Cauchy sequence is a sequence a_n such that for all epsilon > 0, there is an integer N such that for m,n > N, the following relation holds: |a_m - a_n| < epsilon.

In your case, you can take m = n+1 and so you must show that [tex] |a_{n+1} - a_n| = \frac{1}{5^n} < \epsilon [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook