A Netbook as a NAS/PS/etc all-in-one?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using a netbook as a versatile all-in-one server for network attached storage and printing. Some suggest using a router with a USB port to connect to the network, but others argue that this method may be limited in transfer speeds and more expensive compared to a full-fledged NAS system. The conversation also touches on the option of using a 2TB external hard drive, but this may also have limitations and may not be the most cost-effective solution.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
A Netbook as a NAS/PS/etc all-in-one??

So I was thinking something just now! Print servers are expensive if you want to attach a printer to a network. Getting built in network support is even more expensive. Same thing for network attached storage. However, I just realized, aren't netbooks like, the simplest way to combine anything like that? Just as long as the netbook is online, it can act like all sorts of fancy gadgets!

Or can it? I can get used netbooks for less than $200 from friends who go through netbooks somewhat often. Does anyone know or have any ideas about making such a device into a kind of all-in-one server? Sure you would have to have all your equipment near the netbook but that's kind of the situation I'm in at the moment with my parent's office. I wonder what other ideas I could spark out of this?

DISCUSS!

Computer science news on Phys.org

You could just get a router with a USB port to connect it to your network (http://www.dlink.ca/products/?pid=530) I can recommend this product from using it for a few years, having a printer hooked up the way I described.

And I wouldn't recommend making a netbook your network attached storage, in my experience, netbook hard drives are small and typically spin at a lower RPM to save battery. If you want cheap network storage, pick up a couple of terabyte drives (they only cost about $100 now) and just share the entire drive over your network.

No no, i mean doing what you suggested. I would buy a 2tb external HDD or something and attach it to the netbook via USB and probably just map it as a network drive or something similar.

The problem I have with that is that with the USB connection, you're being severely limited in your transfer speeds (Note: this would really only apply if you have a gigabit network and have a wired connection to the netbook), to get the best speeds, the drive would need to use the internal SATA connection on a desktop PC. Another thing is that external drives are much, much more expensive than internal drives, and if you're going to get a 2TB external drive (1tb here http://ncix.com/products/?sku=52473&vpn=WDBAAU0010HBK-NESN&manufacture=Western Digital WD Retail) you might as well just get a full out 2TB NAS and grab better speeds and reliability (typically with these NAS' you can set them up in a RAID array if you want) (http://ncix.com/products/?sku=50186&vpn=LS-WX2.0TL/R1&manufacture=Buffalo).

The router I suggested retails for about $80 and it supports a gigabit network.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would say that while the idea of using a netbook as a NAS/PS/etc all-in-one may seem appealing due to its low cost and potential versatility, there are several factors to consider before implementing this idea.

Firstly, netbooks are not designed for heavy usage or long-term operation. They have limited processing power, storage capacity, and are not equipped with robust cooling systems. This could lead to performance issues and potential hardware failures if used as a server for extended periods of time.

Additionally, netbooks are not typically designed with server-grade hardware or software, which could affect their reliability and security. They may not have the necessary features to properly manage and protect data, especially in a network environment.

Moreover, using a netbook as an all-in-one server may not be as cost-effective in the long run. While the initial cost may be low, the netbook may not have the same lifespan as a dedicated server and may need to be replaced more frequently, resulting in additional costs.

In conclusion, while the idea of using a netbook as a NAS/PS/etc all-in-one may seem practical and cost-effective, it may not be the most reliable or efficient solution in the long run. It is important to carefully consider the specific needs and requirements of your network before making any decisions.

1. What is a Netbook as a NAS/PS/etc all-in-one?

A Netbook as a NAS/PS/etc all-in-one is a compact computer that can be used as a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device, a print server (PS), and other functions such as a media server or backup server. It is essentially a multi-functional device that can perform various tasks related to storage and connectivity.

2. What are the benefits of using a Netbook as a NAS/PS/etc all-in-one?

One of the main benefits of using a Netbook as a NAS/PS/etc all-in-one is its compact size and portability. It can easily fit in small spaces and can be moved from one location to another. Additionally, it is cost-effective compared to purchasing separate devices for each function. It also consumes less power and can be customized to suit specific needs.

3. How does a Netbook function as a NAS/PS/etc all-in-one?

A Netbook as a NAS/PS/etc all-in-one can be set up by installing the appropriate software and configuring it to perform different functions. For example, to use it as a NAS, you would need to install NAS software and connect external hard drives for storage. Similarly, to use it as a print server, you would need to install print server software and connect printers to the Netbook.

4. Can a Netbook as a NAS/PS/etc all-in-one handle multiple tasks simultaneously?

Yes, a Netbook as a NAS/PS/etc all-in-one is designed to handle multiple tasks simultaneously. However, its performance may vary depending on the specifications of the Netbook and the nature of the tasks being performed. It is recommended to check the capabilities of the Netbook and its compatibility with the software being used.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Netbook as a NAS/PS/etc all-in-one?

Some limitations of using a Netbook as a NAS/PS/etc all-in-one include limited storage capacity, limited processing power, and potential compatibility issues with certain software. Additionally, it may not be suitable for high-demand tasks or heavy usage. It is important to research and consider these limitations before using a Netbook as a NAS/PS/etc all-in-one.