Best Ethernet / Network switch setup?

In summary: I have a desktop PC and a laptop with WiFi that I use at home.In summary, my grandma recently gave me a relatively new Cisco gigabit ethernet / network switch because she never used it. She has an ethernet cable and HDMI cable coming out of the wall where my Smart TV will be. The switch has 8 ports and I have wireless USB adapters / dongles for my desktop PC I own. I want the switch downstairs, in my tech studio / basement. It is acceptable if it goes into the shop area / unfinished section of the basement. The wireless / network printer must be connected to the switch.
TheMacNerd
My grandma recently gave me a relatively new Cisco gigabit ethernet / network switch because she never used it.
Here are the devices that need to be wired:

Here is the current setup:

Internet / Wifi Modem upstairs, my bedroom / "tech studio" is in the downstairs / basement of the townhouse. There's a shop in the basement with two benches with 4 wall outlets each. I was thinking after I clear a space I could put a high-end PC or Mac Workstation there with Ubuntu Linux / Mac OS X.

In my basement, there is an ethernet cable and HDMI Cable coming out of the wall where my Smart TV will be.

The Cisco Network Switch has 8 Ports. I have wireless USB adapters / dongles for my desktop PC I own.

- Smart TV (getting it for this XMas)
- XBox360 Game console
- SATA Hard disk drives (Multiple) (after I purchase the enclosures) (to use as SAN/NAS) (hooked to the switch & the modem)
- Maybe? a desktop PC/ Mac Pro Workstation (in the shop area)
- A network HP Color Printer

More information to know:

The basement / bedroom I have is 1/2 finished. I'm staying in the finished 1/2 where my current desktop PC & laptop for school are. The ethernet cable is coming out of the finished 1/2 of the basement where my Smart TV & Xbox360 will be. When I moved the cable installer technician reccomended if we don't already have one, an ethernet splitter.

I want the ethernet switch downstairs, in my tech studio / basement. It is acceptable if it goes into the shop area / unfinished section of the basement. The wireless / network printer must be connected to the switch.

Here is what my theory on a setup for me might look like:

On one of the workbenches in the shop area, plug the network / ethernet switch into one of the 4+ wall outlets (I have power strips as well). Plug the printer to the switch, the desktop pc and / or server, as well as the SATA hard drives. The TV can be plug into the cables coming out of my wall. The Xbox plugs to the TV.

Is this a good setup? Or is there something better to suggest?

Likes Albert Ralph
Computer science news on Phys.org
I do not understand your question. Do you want us to comment on the power connection or the Ethernet connections?
TheMacNerd said:
When I moved the cable installer technician reccomended if we don't already have one, an ethernet splitter.
Sorry, such a device does not exist. In order to connect several networked devices together, you need an Ethernet switch (like the Cisco switch you mentioned).
TheMacNerd said:
The Cisco Network Switch has 8 Ports. I have wireless USB adapters / dongles for my desktop PC I own.
Yes, but I doubt that the Cisco has any Wi-Fi interface.
TheMacNerd said:
On one of the workbenches in the shop area, plug the network / ethernet switch into one of the 4+ wall outlets (I have power strips as well). Plug the printer to the switch, the desktop pc and / or server, as well as the SATA hard drives. The TV can be plug into the cables coming out of my wall. The Xbox plugs to the TV.
A drawing would help...

I can't following what you are describing.

The general setup is Cable/DSL Modem <-> WiFi and Router <-> Ethernet devices. One of the ethernet devices can be the ethernet switch, which will give you more Ethernet ports.
(an Ethernet Switch is essentially an ethernet expander or splitter, although it is more complicated than a simple splitter)

The parts may move around, for example the WiFi part could be implemented within the Modem. Or, even the Router/WiFi/Modem could be one unit. But the basic flow is I indicated.

Yeah, your network setup is fine. Your PCs and the NAS are on the same gigabit switch so you will have the highest possible transfer rates between your large storage devices (assuming the NICs on the devices also support gigabit speeds)
You may stream media from the NAS to the TV but streaming won't be able to saturate that gigabit link. Even if your router only does fast ethernet (100mbps) your smartTV and Xbox won't notice any difference.

The only time you will see any significant effect of not having gigabit is if you are doing large simultaneous transfers across multiple systems (we're talking 10s or 100s of GB)
Outside of that, it doesn't really matter how you setup the network inside your home. The average user never really goes that much over 10mbps, your average 1080p video on youtube just needs around 7-9mbps to run without pauses for buffering.

Long story short, the way you plan to plug things is is fine. Just avoid wifi if possible. Wired connections are always superior.

I'm just wondering the most effecient way to use the ethernet switch. That's my question.

The switch provides, at its simplest, a way to turn 1 long cable run into many ethernet ports.

They also can be programmed to setup subnets and such if you need to isolate sub networks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_switch

What is the model number of your switch?

Draw a diagram of the network, or the network you want, and we can comment on use of the switch.

For example, from the wikipedia article, you switch MIGHT (or might not) support such features as:

Cisco SG100D-08

TheMacNerd said:
I'm just wondering the most effecient way to use the ethernet switch. That's my question.
You want as many devices as possible connected directly into the gigabit switch, prioritise devices that generate the most LAN traffic. By this I mean, devices within your own home that send large files to each other, not downloading/uploading from the internet. Like your fileserver & computers.

Devices that will not be transferring data between devices at home (like Xbox/Playstation, smart TV, etc.) can go anywhere. These devices exchange data almost exclusively with the internet (downloading games/updates, netflx, etc.) and will top out at your internet connection's speed, gigabit link is irrelevant.

Likes Silicon Waffle
It's an unmanaged switch, so none of the features I mentioned are available.

In addition, Cisco has gotten bad reviews for this switch on Amazon, in that all ports are not gigabit.

You should read the Amazon reviews, and the product manual.

Think of it as a simple ethernet hub. One port to many, with some limitations as described in the reviews.

1. What is an Ethernet/Network switch?

An Ethernet/Network switch is a networking device that connects devices on a computer network by using packet switching to forward data to its destination. It acts as a central hub for connecting multiple devices, such as computers, printers, and servers, together in a local area network (LAN).

2. How do I choose the best Ethernet/Network switch for my setup?

When choosing an Ethernet/Network switch, consider the number of devices you need to connect, the speed and bandwidth requirements, and whether you need any advanced features such as Power over Ethernet (PoE) or VLAN support. It's also important to choose a reputable brand and ensure the switch is compatible with your network infrastructure.

3. How many ports do I need on my Ethernet/Network switch?

The number of ports you need on your Ethernet/Network switch depends on the number of devices you want to connect. It's always a good idea to have a few extra ports for future expansion. If you have a large number of devices, you may want to consider using a switch with multiple stacking ports to connect multiple switches together.

4. What is the difference between managed and unmanaged switches?

A managed switch allows for more control and customization over your network, such as setting up VLANs, monitoring traffic, and configuring Quality of Service (QoS). An unmanaged switch, on the other hand, is more plug-and-play and does not offer these advanced features. If you have a larger, more complex network, a managed switch may be a better option.

5. How do I set up my Ethernet/Network switch?

The setup process for an Ethernet/Network switch may vary depending on the specific model and manufacturer. However, in general, you will need to connect the switch to a power source and your network, configure any necessary settings (if using a managed switch), and then connect your devices to the switch using Ethernet cables. It's always a good idea to consult the user manual or contact the manufacturer for specific instructions.