1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A null set is a subset of every set

1. May 26, 2014 #1
    Hi, I was wondering, how can a null set be a subset of other sets? Could anyone explain the idea in non technical terms, I'm just a beginner. :)

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Do you agree that "if A is NOT a subset of B then there an element in A that is not in B"?

Do you see that, no matter what B is, the empty set cannot satisfy that?

4. May 26, 2014 #3

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

An interesting application of this is the construction of natural numbers via set theory:

from wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_numbers

5. May 26, 2014 #4
    Well, I do understand your first part. Now, for the second part, are you saying that because the empty set has no elements, it can't satisfy(be a subset) of B?

6. May 27, 2014 #5

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

The part that the empty set cannot satisfy is the "then there [is] an element in A that is not in B", with the empty set playing the role of A.

7. May 27, 2014 #6

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

No, I'm saying the opposite of that. The first part was a condition for NOT being a subset of B. Since the empty set cannot satisfy it, the empty set must be a subset of B.

8. May 27, 2014 #7

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

chemistry1,

The first thing to understand is why a statement of the form "If A then B" is considered true when the statement A is false. (This is the way it is in mathematical logic - not in the way the man-in-the-street thinks about things.) There are many threads on the forum discussing this because most people find it a strange convention when they first encounter it. Do you understand why it is essential to have this convention in mathematics?

9. May 28, 2014 #8
    I don't think it's all that strange.

"If I win the lottery, I'll give you a million dollars". But I didn't win the lottery, so I never lied to you.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook