A Numerical Insight for the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus - Comments

In summary, @Greg Bernhardt submitted a new blog post discussing a numerical insight for the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. The theorem states that if φ is a summable function, its indefinite integral is a continuous function of bounded variation. The theorem also states that for every x there exists a function F such that F(x)-F(a) is summable.
Delta2
Insights Author
Gold Member
Greg Bernhardt submitted a new blog post

A Numerical Insight for the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus
calc_therom.png

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Attachments

• calc_therom.png
    calc_therom.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 938
Likes jim mcnamara, Adam Talman, Wrichik Basu and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Well - it is correct for a restricted class of functions. Saying [itex]\int f'(x)dx =f(x) [/itex] presupposes that f(x) is differentiable (otherwise the expression is meaningless). The other way around ([itex]\frac{d}{dx}\int f(x)dx [/itex]) allows for a larger class of functions (the Riemann-integrable functions).

Going to an even larger class of functions, we have the following theorem of Lebesgue:
If φ(x) is a summable function, its indefinite integral [itex]F(x)=\int_{a}^{x}\phi(t)dt [/itex] is a continuous function of bounded variation and it has almost everywhere a derivative equal to φ(x).

Observe the "almost everywhere" clause which is typical for all integrals based on measure theory. Lebesgue also proved a theorem about the other direction:
The derivative φ(x) of an absolutely continuous function F(x) defined on the closed interval [a, b] is summable and for every x [itex]\int_{a}^{x}\phi(t)dt = F(x)-F(a) [/itex].

Observe the restriction on φ(x)!

I think the point of the insight is that for someone unfamiliar with the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, that reader would find the discussion useful.

Mathematicians often do exactly what @Svein did - generalize or expand the scope. Which is not an incorrect position in any way. Simply put: Sometimes knowing when to limit scope can be instructive, too.

Likes jcw99, vela, Delta2 and 1 other person
These approximations will always be true for any function. For instance

##Σ((f(x_{i}+Δx)-f(x_{i})/Δx)Δx## will always give ##f(x_{n})-f(x_{0})## no matter what the function. So in order for the argument to be true one needs a limiting argument. One might ask "Why if this formula is true for any function at all, does it illustrate the theorem in the case that ##f## is differentiable?".

On the other hand, the picture is right as @Svein says for differentiable functions and is certainly helpful.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
lavinia said:
Σ((f(xi+Δx)−f(xi)/Δx)ΔxΣ((f(x_{i}+Δx)-f(x_{i})/Δx)Δx will always give f(xn)−f(x0)f(x_{n})-f(x_{0}) no matter what the function.
As usual, someone has to come up with a pathological function. Not the Dirichlet function this time, but [itex] \int_{0}^{1}\sin(\frac{1}{x})dx[/itex]...

The "telescoping sum" argument as to why ##\int_A^B f'(x) dx = f(A) - f(B)## is a simplified case of the argument leading to Stoke's theorem. You get perfect cancellations everywhere except the boundary.

Likes Delta2
Sorry for the late reply, its because only now I am being able to see the comments and reply (due to some conflict with my account and the insights forum login subsystem)

Well about as @jim mcnamara said, this insight was meant for students that are now introduced to calculus, for high school students or for students of technical schools that aren't taught calculus with mathematical rigor but possibly they want to gain some intuitive simple insight on calculus.

When I was writing the insight I had in mind the Rieman integrable functions but @Svein is right. But then again Lavinia is more right cause here the derivative is not the real derivative, it is just an approximation of the real derivative, so the approximations just hold for any class of functions.

Likes jcw99
Does this view relate to the one from physics without calculus?

derivative = velocity = distance / time

integral = distance = velocity X time

atyy said:
Does this view relate to the one from physics without calculus?

derivative = velocity = distance / time

integral = distance = velocity X time
It is not exactly like this but one could say that this is the basic idea.

More precisely what I do is that I remove the limit operator (if I can call it that way) from the definition of integral and derivative , and I just take as integral the sum of ##f(x_i)\Delta x_i## for small enough ##\Delta x_i## and as derivative the ratio of difference for small enough ##\Delta x##. Without the limit operator everything becomes numerical or algebraic.

1. What is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is a fundamental concept in calculus that links the two major branches of the subject, differential calculus and integral calculus. It states that the derivative of a function can be calculated by evaluating the function at the upper and lower limits of the integral of its derivative.

2. How is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus used in real-world applications?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is used in various real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics, to calculate rates of change, areas under curves, and volumes of 3D shapes. For example, it can be used to determine the velocity of an object by calculating the integral of its acceleration function.

3. What is the difference between the first and second parts of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The first part of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, also known as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus - Part I, states that the derivative of the integral of a function is equal to the original function. The second part, also known as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus - Part II, states that the integral of the derivative of a function is equal to the function itself.

4. How does the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus relate to the concept of anti-derivatives?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is closely related to the concept of anti-derivatives. The first part of the theorem states that the derivative of the integral of a function is equal to the original function, which is essentially the reverse of the process of finding an anti-derivative. This means that the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus provides a shortcut for finding anti-derivatives.

5. Can the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus be extended to multi-dimensional integrals?

Yes, the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus can be extended to multi-dimensional integrals. This is known as the Generalized Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. It states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval, then the partial derivative of the integral of the function with respect to a variable is equal to the original function evaluated at the upper limit of the integral multiplied by the derivative of the upper limit with respect to that variable.