A one-dimensional Gaussian Wave Packet

In summary, the function \varphi_{G}(z,t) is given as an integral and the task is to integrate it and determine the phase and group velocity of the wave package. The method of completing the square is used to simplify the integral, resulting in the final expression \exp{\left(-\frac{\Delta k_0^2}{16}(z-ct)^2 + ik_0 (z-ct)\right)}. The correctness of the result is uncertain and an easier method to calculate the integral is sought. Help is also needed in determining the phase and group velocity, and deciding if there is dispersion or not.
Anden

Homework Statement

I have been given the function
[tex]
\varphi_{G}(z,t) = \frac{2}{\Delta k_0\sqrt{\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dk\ e^{-\frac{4(k-k_0)^2}{\Delta k_0^2}}e^{i(kz-\omega t)}
[/tex]
and been told to do the integration and then to specify the phase and group velocity of the wave package. I also have to decide if there is dispersion or not.

Homework Equations

[tex]
\omega = ck
[/tex]
[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dx e^{-ax^2} = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}},\quad a > 0
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the method of completing the square I get
[tex]
\begin{align*}
\varphi_{G}(z,t)
&= \frac{2}{\Delta k_0\sqrt{\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dk\ \exp{\left(-\frac{4(k-k_{0})^2}{\Delta k_{0}^{2}} + i(kz - kct)\right)} \\
&= \frac{2}{\Delta k_0\sqrt{\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dk\ \exp{\left(-\frac{4}{\Delta k_{0}^{2}}(k^2 - 2k(k_0 + i\frac{\Delta k_{0}^{2}}{8}(z-ct)) + k_{0}^{2})\right)} \\
&= \frac{2}{\Delta k_0\sqrt{\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dk\ \exp{\left(-\frac{4}{\Delta k_0^2}( (k-(k_0 + i\frac{\Delta k_0^2}{8}(z-ct)))^2 - 2k_0 i\frac{\Delta k_0^2}{8}(z-ct) + \frac{\Delta k_0^4}{64}(z-ct)^2)\right)} \\
&= \frac{2}{\Delta k_0\sqrt{\pi}} \exp{\left(ik_0(z-ct) - \frac{\Delta k_0}{16}(z-ct)^2\right)} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dk\ \exp{\left(-\frac{4}{\Delta k_0^2}(k-(k_0 + i\frac{\Delta k_0^2}{8}(z-ct)))^2\right)} \\
&= \frac{2}{\Delta k_0\sqrt{\pi}} \exp{\left(ik_0(z-ct) - \frac{\Delta k_0}{16}(z-ct)^2\right)} \frac{\sqrt{\pi}\Delta k_0}{2} \\
&= \exp{\left(-\frac{\Delta k_0^2}{16}(z-ct)^2 + ik_0 (z-ct)\right)}
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Now, I don't really have a lot of experience doing things like this (in fact this is the first time). Is the result I got correct or have I done an error somewhere? Also, is there maybe an easier way to calculate the integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
Finally, I would be grateful if someone could help me with the other parts of the problem, i.e. determining the phase and group velocity, and deciding if there is dispersion or not.

What is a one-dimensional Gaussian Wave Packet?

A one-dimensional Gaussian Wave Packet is a mathematical representation of a particle's wave function in one dimension. It is a Gaussian-shaped curve that describes the probability of finding the particle at a particular position in space.

What are the key properties of a one-dimensional Gaussian Wave Packet?

The key properties of a one-dimensional Gaussian Wave Packet include its width, amplitude, and central position. The width determines the spread of the wave packet, while the amplitude represents the maximum value of the wave function. The central position is the most probable location of the particle.

How is a one-dimensional Gaussian Wave Packet different from a plane wave?

A plane wave is a wave with a constant amplitude and frequency that extends infinitely in space. In contrast, a one-dimensional Gaussian Wave Packet has a finite width and amplitude, and its maximum value is localized in space. Additionally, a plane wave has a well-defined momentum, while a Gaussian Wave Packet has a spread in momentum values.

What is the significance of the uncertainty principle in relation to a one-dimensional Gaussian Wave Packet?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. This is especially relevant for a one-dimensional Gaussian Wave Packet because its width and amplitude determine the uncertainty in position and momentum, respectively. A narrower wave packet will have a larger uncertainty in momentum and vice versa.

How is a one-dimensional Gaussian Wave Packet used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, a one-dimensional Gaussian Wave Packet is used to describe the probability of finding a particle in a particular location in space. It is also used to calculate the time evolution of a particle's wave function and to determine the spread in momentum values. The properties of a Gaussian Wave Packet are also important in understanding phenomena such as wave interference and quantum tunneling.