A person jumps on a merry go round, how much does the merry weigh?

  • Thread starter Thread starter smhippe
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
smhippe
Messages
18
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A person with a mass of 52 kg runs with a speed of 6.8 m/s jumps onto the outer rim
of a merry-go-round. The merry-go-round has a radius of 1.5 m and can be modeled as a
large disk. The merry-go-round was initially at rest before the person jumped onto it and
rotates at 1.3 rad/s immediately after the person jumps on. What is the mass (in kg) of
the merry-go-round?


Homework Equations



Mm=Mass of merry go round
Mp=mass of person
R=radius of merry go round
Vp= velocity of person
w=angular velocity

The Attempt at a Solution


I just need someone to make sure I set this up right. I solved this using momentum. The initial momentum was Mp*Vp*r
The final momentum is 1/2*Mm*R^2*w+Mp*R^2*w
Solving I got 52*6.8*1.5=1/2*Mm*(1.5^2)*1.3+52*(1.5^2)*1.3

So does it look right to anyone?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right to me. (Assuming the person was moving tangent to edge of the merry go round when he jumped on.)