1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools A Physicist Working at a University

1. May 4, 2009 #1
    I've heard that working at a university gives you more options as a physicist but tends to get paid less than one working in an industry. Can someone tell me the differences between the two and which would you prefer.

And i'm talking about a researcher not a professeur.

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2009 #2

j93

What is with the interrogation at this point you should wait till your in sophomore year in college to worry about your major and senior year to worry about which job is better worklife.

4. May 4, 2009 #3
    My answer probably applies to all fields of science. If you're a researcher at a university you can spend your time working on whatever problems interest you, and you make all your own deadlines. As long as you're publishing papers, the university will be happy with you. Unfortunately you'll also have to juggle that with teaching courses. If you work for a company, they'll tell you what to work on and you'll probably have a deadline for getting it done.

5. May 4, 2009 #4
    Well, can we talk about a professor now. I like the fact that professors get great flexibility and do a lot of research. (plus, full time professors do get paid a lot :smile:). But i want to know how much stress they have. Personally, i would just want to go home and relax or maybe do a bit of work but that's all. So are they always working at work and at home?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook