1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A physics UG looking into CS graduate programs

1. Jul 28, 2015 #1
    Purpose:
    Seeking general advice! "What would you do in my shoes?"

My situation:
    All of my undergraduate research (and passion) has been related to computational projects-- Monte Carlo simulations, data analysis, and more recently image analysis (all in Python). My summers have gone into this effort as well, and I feel that I have made progress in becoming a nearly competent scientific programmer.

Managing these computational skills, along with the specific knowledge for the lab I have been working with (bioinformatics) is about all I can handle. This is making my core studies in physics feel like a stressful distraction.

Goal:
    Since the course catalogs for computer science seem to present the exact skills I need for research, I would like to try to switch from undergraduate physics to a graduate program for computer science. I know that I would like to pursue a thesis option.

What I don't know, and would like advice on:
    A lot! Which GRE should I prepare for? Should I consider alternative graduate programs? Should I apply to more than one program? Should I go for a master's or straight to a PhD program? Will I still be able to work for my current PI (who is in the physics department) when I switch out of the physics department (I'm generally uninformed on how employment works for graduate students). Should I become familiar with another language before graduate school in computer science (I am only familiar with Python and related packages)?

---

Thank you for your time!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2015 #2
    I say stick with what you love, but you need academic advisors more familiar with your situation to help you chart a specific path to get there.

Good advice in one country or school may not apply somewhere else.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook