1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A plane and a point and another point

1. Apr 14, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] A plane and a point and another point

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

According to the Flat Earth CLub, Earth is a plane described by the equation
    x+y+z = 18
    Also according to the Flat Earth Club, Earth will be destroyed on the day this assignment is due by an explosion that will spontaneously occur at the so-called "armageddon point" A = (1,1,1). It so happens that the school (considered as a point) will be the first place on Earth that is destroyed by this explosion (how sad)

2. Relevant equations

a) Calculate the coordinates of the school.
    b)What is the distance between A and the school. What is the distance between A and Earth?

3. The attempt at a solution

a. Form the line that passes through point A with a direction vector that is parallel to the normal vector of the plane.
    L: (x,y,z) = (i + j + k) + (i + j + k)t
    = (1 + t)i + (1+t)j + (1+t)k
    Now substitute into the equation of the plane to determine the point of intersection P.
    x = t + 1
    y = t +1
    z = t + 1
    (t+1) + (t+1) + (t +1 ) = 18
    3t + 3 = 18
    3t = 15
    t = 5
    The point P is then (6, 6, 6)

b. The distance (D) between A and the Earth/Monash Universtiy (P) which are 3-D points, is calculated by:

D = √[(px-ax)2 + (py-ay)2 + (pz-az)2]

Where P = (px, py, pz) and A = (ax, ay, az)
    Therefore: P = (6,7,8) and A = (1,1,1) and
    D= √[(6-1)2 + (6-1)2 + (6-1)2
    = √75
    = 8.66
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Is your question about this whether you solved it correctly? I believe the answer is 'yes'. You are basically being asked to find the perpendicular distance from A to the place and the point on that plane where the normal line from A meets the plane. And that is just what you have done...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?