1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A point moves along the curve y=2x^2+1

1. Nov 11, 2014 #1

dnt

• Thread was started in a non-homework section, so is missing the template
    A point moves along the curve y=2x^2+1 in such a way that the y value is decreasing at the rate of 2 units per second. At what rate is x changing when x=(3/2)?

Ok here's what I've done...

Dy/dt=(4x)(dx/dt)

-2 = (4*3/2)(dx/dt)

So dx/dt=-1/3 (ie decreasing by 1/3 units per second)

First, is that right? Second when I look at the graph and y is decreasing it's the left side of the parabola however as I go down the graph the x increasing from left to right. So either my work is wrong above or I am misinterpreting the graph. What have I done wrong? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Yes.

Looking at a graph of [itex]y[/itex] against [itex]x[/itex] only tells you how [itex]y[/itex] varies with [itex]x[/itex]. That graph tells you nothing about how [itex]y[/itex] varies with [itex]t[/itex] unless you know how [itex]x[/itex] varies with [itex]t[/itex]. If [itex]y[/itex] increases with [itex]x[/itex] but [itex]x[/itex] itself is decreasing with [itex]t[/itex], then [itex]y[/itex] will decrease with [itex]t[/itex].

4. Nov 11, 2014 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In which direction do you think the particle is moving? (You've not done anything wrong.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted