A (probably simple) quantum problem - energy eigenfunctions?

In summary, the Schrodinger equation has a V(x) term that is missing, so the equation is written without it. The eigenvalue problem is figuring out which function is the eigenfunction of the energy, and in quantum mechanics, only the normalized projective states matter.
jeebs
Hi people,
I have this problem to do, and its only worth one mark which makes me think it must be easy, but our lecturer has not taught us very well at all, never explains anything.

Anyway, there's a particle confined in an infinite potential well within the region -L/2 < x < L/2, where the potential is zero. At a certain time it is described by the wavefunction:
psi(x) = Acos(pi.x/L) + 2Asin(2pi.x/L). [where A = sqrt(2/5L)]

I am supposed to write down psi(x) in terms of the eigenfunctions of energy.

First off, I don't really know what an eigenfunction of energy is, or is supposed to look like, so i don't know what i am supposed to be writing psi(x) in terms of. All i have really done with this question is write down the time-independent Schrodinger equation with the V(x) term missing, since the potential is zero, so i have:

-H/2m.(d^2/dx^2)psi(x) = E(psi(x)) [where H = h/2 pi]

Other than that i have just aimlessly messed around with the equation above.
Can anybody help me out? I am desperate for help with this stuff, its starting to frustrate me now.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is "just" a second order differential equation which needs to fullfil boundary conditions psi(L/2) = psi(-L/2) = 0

You should have studied second order differential equations before studying quantum mechanics.

malawi_glenn said:
You should have studied second order differential equations before studying quantum mechanics.
... or during.

jeebs,

That there time-independent Schroedinger equation is the eigenvalue problem. "An eigenfunction of the energy" should really say "an eigenfunction of the Hamiltonian". And so, what you have written there is that the operator, H, acts on the wave function, psi, by simply multiplying it by some value, called the energy, E. The eigenvalue problem is especially profound in quantum mechanics, more so than in any other subject, because in quantum mechanics only the normalized projective states matter, so multiplication by a constant doesn't change any physical quantity.

Anyway, the point is, the solution to the time-independent Schroedinger equation is the eigenfunction of the energy. Then, like malawi_glenn said ...

aah thanks for your answers... I'm getting there with this quantum mechanics business, little by little... i understand stuff a bit more every day.

1. What is a quantum problem?

A quantum problem is a mathematical or physical problem that involves the principles and laws of quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

2. What are energy eigenfunctions?

Energy eigenfunctions are the solutions to the Schrödinger equation, which describes the energy states of a quantum system. These functions represent the probability of finding a particle in a particular energy state.

3. How are energy eigenfunctions related to energy eigenvalues?

Energy eigenfunctions and energy eigenvalues are directly related. The energy eigenvalue is the specific energy level that corresponds to a particular energy eigenfunction. As the energy eigenvalue increases, the corresponding energy eigenfunction becomes more complex.

4. How do we solve a quantum problem involving energy eigenfunctions?

To solve a quantum problem involving energy eigenfunctions, we use mathematical techniques such as the Schrödinger equation, matrix methods, and perturbation theory. These methods allow us to determine the energy eigenvalues and eigenfunctions for a given quantum system.

5. What is the significance of energy eigenfunctions in quantum mechanics?

Energy eigenfunctions are significant in quantum mechanics because they represent the fundamental states of a quantum system. They provide information about the energy levels and behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of matter and energy in the quantum world.