Eigenfunction of momentum and operators

In summary, the speaker is asking for help in understanding how to obtain the eigenfunction of momentum for a free particle and how to show that the completeness relation is satisfied for a specific expression. The expert suggests using the given wavefunction and the completeness relation for position states to show that the states with this type of wavefunction satisfy the completeness relation. They also provide a helpful equation to use in the proof.
Philip Land

Homework Statement

Skärmavbild 2018-10-19 kl. 20.28.10.png

Homework Equations

##\hat{P}= -ih d/dx##

The Attempt at a Solution

To actually obtain ##\psi_{p_0}## I guess one can apply the momentum operator on the spatial wavefunction. If we consider a free particle (V=0) we can easily get obtain ##\psi = e^{\pm i kx}##, where ##k= \sqrt{2mE/ \hbar}##.

By now applying momentum operator we get ##\hat{P} \psi= -ih \cdot \pm i \sqrt{2mE/ \hbar} ##. This is as far as I get, how do I actually get the eigenfunction of momentum on the required form?

And 2:
How do I show that the completeness relation is satisfied for that 'specific' expression? I know that we can express ##|x> = \int dp |p><p|x>,##take ##-i \hbar \frac{d}{d_x} f_p(x) = p f_p(x)## and turn into a Fourier transformation (including k in the kernel) and get ##p' \tilde{f_p(p')}## which can be solved picking p=p' and any function of p can be converted into an eigenfunction if we transform back to x s.t ##f_p(x) = \int dp e^{ipx \hbar} \tilde{f_p(p)}##, but I have no idea how to use this to confirm the completeness relation for the above expression...

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2018-10-19 kl. 20.11.08.png
    Skärmavbild 2018-10-19 kl. 20.11.08.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,052
  • Skärmavbild 2018-10-19 kl. 20.28.10.png
    Skärmavbild 2018-10-19 kl. 20.28.10.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 824
Physics news on Phys.org
1) You do not need to derive the eigenfunction. Just show that the given function is the eigenfunction.

2) You need to show that ##\int |p\rangle \langle p| dp## is the identity operator, i.e., that acting on any state with it gives back the same state.

Ahh okey, that made the first part very easy.

Orodruin said:
2) You need to show that ∫|p⟩⟨p|dp∫|p⟩⟨p|dp\int |p\rangle \langle p| dp is the identity operator, i.e., that acting on any state with it gives back the same state.

And on 2) what exactly is p in that equation?

It is just a parameter labelling the momentum eigenstates.

Orodruin said:
It is just a parameter labelling the momentum eigenstates.
Okey, so I'm a bit confused about the state vs ##\psi_{p_0}## which is a function. Could I rewrite the function as a state somehow?

Philip Land said:
Okey, so I'm a bit confused about the state vs ##\psi_{p_0}## which is a function. Could I rewrite the function as a state somehow?
Because plugging in ##\psi## in the equation returns ##p_0^2 / \hbar \cdot \int dp. ##

The wave function ##\psi(x)## for any state ##|\psi\rangle## is defined as ##\psi(x) = \langle x|\psi\rangle##.

Oki I see. Are there way to get p for this specific case which I ultimately can plug into the completeness theorem?

There is no specific p. The ##p## in the completeness relation is an integration variable.

Orodruin said:
There is no specific p. The ##p## in the completeness relation is an integration variable.
If there's no specific, p, how can I check it for a specific case?

You should not be checking it for a specific case. You should show that it is always the identity operator.

Orodruin said:
You should not be checking it for a specific case. You should show that it is always the identity operator.
"Show that the expression above satisfies it"

Philip Land said:
"Show that the expression above satisfies it"
Yes? You are still not understanding the question correctly. The wavefunction you are given is the wavefunction corresponding to the state ##|p_0\rangle##. You need to show that the states with this type of wavefunction lead to the states satisfying the completeness relation.

Orodruin said:
Yes? You are still not understanding the question correctly. The wavefunction you are given is the wavefunction corresponding to the state ##|p_0\rangle##. You need to show that the states with this type of wavefunction lead to the states satisfying the completeness relation.
Cheers. Yes the reason I ask is that I obviously don't understand it.

That the wavefunction of the momentum states is ##\psi_{p_0}(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\hbar}} e^{ip_0x/\hbar}## by definition means that
$$
\langle x|p_0\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\hbar}} e^{ip_0x/\hbar}.
$$
From this and the completeness relation for ##|x\rangle##, i.e.,
$$
\int |x\rangle \langle x| dx = 1,
$$
you should be able to show the states ##|p\rangle## with the above wavefunction satisfy the completeness relation. You can do this by showing that
$$
\langle x|\psi\rangle = \int \langle x|p \rangle \langle p |\psi \rangle dp
$$
for any state ##|\psi\rangle##.

1. What is an eigenfunction of momentum?

An eigenfunction of momentum is a function that represents the state of a physical system in terms of its momentum. It is a solution to the wave equation and describes the probability of finding a particle with a specific momentum value.

2. How is the eigenfunction of momentum related to the operator?

The eigenfunction of momentum is related to the operator through the eigenvalue equation. The operator acts on the eigenfunction and produces the corresponding eigenvalue, which represents the momentum of the system.

3. What is the significance of the eigenfunction of momentum in quantum mechanics?

The eigenfunction of momentum is significant in quantum mechanics because it allows us to describe the properties of a particle, such as its position and momentum, in terms of mathematical functions. This helps us understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level and make predictions about their behavior.

4. How does the eigenfunction of momentum relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The eigenfunction of momentum is related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with complete certainty. The eigenfunction of momentum represents the probability of finding a particle with a specific momentum value, and as the uncertainty in momentum decreases, the uncertainty in position increases, and vice versa.

5. Can the eigenfunction of momentum be measured directly?

No, the eigenfunction of momentum cannot be measured directly. It is a mathematical function that describes the probability of finding a particle with a specific momentum value. However, the momentum of a particle can be measured, and the eigenfunction can be used to calculate the probability of obtaining a particular measurement value.