1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A problem about differentiability

1. Nov 30, 2011 #1
    i tried to solve this problem. i can do it a little. but i can't progress. as far as i'm concerned, it requires outstanding performance. thanks for now...
    PROBLEM
    5625.jpg
    MY SOLUTION...
    5625_ms_s.jpg
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2011 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is pretty tricky (unless I missed something clever). Think about this geometrically: we know that f(x) is oscillating between -1 and 1 in some fashion. The statement
    [tex] f'(x)^2+f''(x)^2 \leq 1[/tex]
    says that the derivative of f and the second derivative cannot both be big at the same time. So for example if f'(x) is big when f(x) is near 1, it won't be able to decrease fast enough (because f''(x) is small) to prevent f(x) from crossing the value of 1, which gives a contradiction.

The question then is how to put this into something more rigorous. Suppose we're at a point a for which f(a)2+f'(a)2>1. The picture you should have in your head (not something you should assume but something to give you an idea of wha's going on) is f(a) and f'(a) both positive. Then f is going to eventually reach the value of 1 unless f'(x) decreases and is eventually 0. So the question that you need to answer: how fast can f'(x) decrease to reach 0, given that f'(x)2+f''(x)2<1?

4. Nov 30, 2011 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Mod note: This is obviously not a precalc problem, so moving it to the Calculus & Beyond section.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook