A problem of completeness of a metric space

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3 replies · 2K views
facenian
Messages
433
Reaction score
25
TL;DR
This seems to be a contradictory topology problem
Hi, I found this problem in Munkres' topology book, and it seems to be contradictory:
Let X be a metric space.
(a) Suppose that for some ϵ>0, every ϵ-Ball in [itex]X[/itex] has compact closure. Show that [itex]X[/itex] is complete.
(b) Suppose that for each [itex]x\in X[/itex] there is an [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex] such as the ball [itex]B(x,\epsilon)[/itex] has compact closure. Show by means of an example that [itex]X[/itex] need not be complete.

I believe that (a) can be proved. But then, (b) must be impossible to prove. Am I crazy? or it is a typo. Any help will be much appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
facenian said:
Summary:: This seems to be a contradictory topology problem

(a) Suppose that for some ϵ>0, every ϵ-Ball in [itex]X[/itex] has compact closure.
(b) Suppose that for each [itex]x\in X[/itex] there is an [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex] such as the ball [itex]B(x,\epsilon)[/itex] has compact closure.
a) ##\exists \epsilon## such that ##\forall x## ,,,

b) ##\forall x##, ##\exists \epsilon##

Note that in b), each ##\epsilon## could depend on ##x##.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PeroK and facenian
I think ##\{1,1/2,1/3,1/4,1/5,...\}## is a counterexample for part b.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PeroK and facenian
I think you are both, George and Infrared, right. Thank you very much guys.