1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A problem with sinh where I keep getting 3 different answers

1. Apr 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This isn't a homework problem, just a thought problem. I want to find a solution to the equation sinh(x)=pi.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Here is a picture of the work that I did, pretty much, I set the equation for sinh equal to pi, and I found (ln(2pi)/2). Thats all one part, not the natural log of 2pi/2, that's just stupid. Any way, calculators gave my a number along the lines of 1.05 or something like that, and when I had wolframalpha solve sinh(x)=pi, they gave me a number with i and some square roots that I don't know where they came from. I just want an explanation of whats going on. When I plugged (ln(2pi)/2) into the equation for sinh, I got pi, so I showed that this give pi, but wolframalpha gives another answer, and calculators say I'm wrong. What did I do wrong? Sorry about the pictures, but I don't know LaTex.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The first thing you did wrong was saying ln(2pi+e^(-x))=ln(2pi)+ln(e^(-x)). That's completely wrong. ln(a+b) is not ln(a)+ln(b). Take your original equation and substitute u=e^x, so 1/u=e^(-x). Now it's quadratic in u. Solve for u first. Then take the log.
  4. Apr 14, 2010 #3
    Oh, I made the mistake, the property is ln(ab)=ln(a)+ln(b), fail, alright, thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook