Evaluate complex value and domain of analytic function

In summary, the three questions are asking for different things. The first two are asking for the derivative of sin(x), while the third is asking for the integral of sin(x).
yy205001

Homework Statement

Can anyone help me to check whether the first two are correct or not?
For the third question, i may need some help on it.

Evaluate the following if they exist:
a) sin(3Logi)
b) (1+i)^(1/3-i) (principal value)

Determine the largest open set in which the function Log(1-z^n) is analytic. Here n is a positive integer.

Any help is appreciated!

Homework Equations

Log(z) = Log(abs(z)) + iArg(z)
z^a=exp(a*Log(z)) a, z[itex]\inℂ[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) sin(3*Log(i))
= sin[3(Log(abs(i)) + iArg(i))]
= sin[3(Log(1)+i(pi/2))]
= sin[3(0+i*pi/2)]
= sin[i*3pi/2]
= -i*sinh[i*(i*3pi/2)]
= -i*sinh[-3pi/2]
= i*sinh[3pi/2]

b)(1+i)^(1/3-i) principal value
= exp[(1/3-i)*Log(1+i)]
= exp[(1/3-i)*(Log(abs(1+i))+iArg(1+i))]
= exp[(1/3-i)*(Log(sqrt(2))+i(pi/4))]

Third question:
Let z=x+iy.
First, I think i need to solve Re{1-z^n}≤0 and Im{1-z^n}=0 for x, y, then the largest domain is the ℂ except the set {z=x+iy| Re{1-z^n}≤0 and Im{1-z^n}=0}.

So,
→ 1-(x+iy)^n =0, then i can't anymore further. I tried to use binomial theorem on (x+iy)^n but just can't do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
yy205001 said:

Homework Statement

Can anyone help me to check whether the first two are correct or not?
For the third question, i may need some help on it.

Evaluate the following if they exist:
a) sin(3Logi)
b) (1+i)^(1/3-i) (principal value)

Determine the largest open set in which the function Log(1-z^n) is analytic. Here n is a positive integer.

Any help is appreciated!

Homework Equations

Log(z) = Log(abs(z)) + iArg(z)
z^a=exp(a*Log(z)) a, z[itex]\inℂ[/itex]
Okay, since you are asking for the principal value you don't need to do things like "plus a multiple of [itex]i\pi[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

a) sin(3*Log(i))
= sin[3(Log(abs(i)) + iArg(i))]
= sin[3(Log(1)+i(pi/2))]
= sin[3(0+i*pi/2)]
= sin[i*3pi/2]
= -i*sinh[i*(i*3pi/2)]
= -i*sinh[-3pi/2]
= i*sinh[3pi/2]
Yes, that looks correct. Personally, I would have used
[tex]sin(x)= \frac{e^{ix}- e^{-ix}}{2i}[/tex]
but, of course, that is the same as your sinh(x).

b)(1+i)^(1/3-i) principal value
= exp[(1/3-i)*Log(1+i)]
= exp[(1/3-i)*(Log(abs(1+i))+iArg(1+i))]
= exp[(1/3-i)*(Log(sqrt(2))+i(pi/4))]
I think you can do a little better. first, of course Log(sqrt(2))= (1/2)Log(2).
Also you can multiply out in the exponential: {(1/6)Log(2)- (pi/4)}+ {(1/3)pi/4- (1/2)Log(2)}i.
And then use the fact that exp(a+ bi)= exp(a)(cos(b)+ isin(b)).

Third question:
Let z=x+iy.
First, I think i need to solve Re{1-z^n}≤0 and Im{1-z^n}=0 for x, y, then the largest domain is the ℂ except the set {z=x+iy| Re{1-z^n}≤0 and Im{1-z^n}=0}.

So,
→ 1-(x+iy)^n =0, then i can't anymore further. I tried to use binomial theorem on (x+iy)^n but just can't do it.
You are making a mistake in trying to deal with this in "Cartesian form". [itex]ln(z)= ln(re^{i\theta}= ln(r)+ i\theta[/itex], as you said before, is analytic as long as r> 0. That means this function is analytic as long as |1- z|> 0 which is exactly the same as saying [itex]z\ne 1[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
You are making a mistake in trying to deal with this in "Cartesian form". [itex]ln(z)= ln(re^{i\theta}= ln(r)+ i\theta[/itex], as you said before, is analytic as long as r> 0. That means this function is analytic as long as |1- z|> 0 which is exactly the same as saying [itex]z\ne 1[/itex].

HallsofIvy, so the answer is just z≠1??

What is an analytic function?

An analytic function is a mathematical function that is differentiable at every point within its domain. This means that the function can be approximated by a power series, allowing for the calculation of derivatives and integrals.

What is the domain of an analytic function?

The domain of an analytic function is the set of all values for which the function is defined and differentiable. This typically includes all real and complex numbers, except for singularities where the function is not defined.

How do you evaluate the complex value of an analytic function?

To evaluate the complex value of an analytic function, you can substitute a complex number into the function and perform the necessary calculations. This will result in a complex number as the output.

What is a singularity in an analytic function?

A singularity in an analytic function is a point within the domain where the function is not defined or is not differentiable. This can be due to a variety of reasons, such as division by zero or taking the logarithm of a negative number.

What is the importance of evaluating the complex value and domain of an analytic function?

Evaluating the complex value and domain of an analytic function is important because it allows for the understanding of the behavior and properties of the function. It also allows for the calculation of derivatives and integrals, which are essential in many areas of mathematics and science.