A proper calculator for Christmas

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a new calculator with better features for representing complex equations. The Sharp EL-506W is currently being used, but is not ideal for higher level math and has been discouraged by experts. The Casio fx-991 ES is recommended, but lacks a history of solved operations. Other options, such as the EL-W516B and EL-W516XBSL, have similar features but may have difficulty navigating through long equations and require nonstandard batteries. The person asking for recommendations is currently in their second year of high school and does not need a graphing calculator. They also mention using other tools, such as Maple, for complex calculations.
Weissritter
Hai, calculators connoiseurs, hope you can help this lost lamb.
Non-connoiseurs, come in, you might learn something from our experts in the field :biggrin:
Now...I've used a Sharp EL-506W for four and half years. Its main drawback is the lack of a proper way of representing big huge equations. I'm also close to taking basic calculus, so I'm in the need of something of higher class.
Asking IRL has strongly discouraged the use of Sharp, and ended up promoting the Casio fx-991 ES, which does have natural display. I've checked this model a bit and I've found it impossible to find a history of already-solved operations. My current 506 can hold some history which is easy accessed.
BUT! I also found these: EL-W516B and EL-W516XBSL, both of which have something similar to natural display. I also found it somewhat difficult to navigate through a long equation in NatDisp. On those two, I've found the first one to use conventional LR44 batteries, and the second one says "Batteries 1 Nonstandard Battery batteries required. (included)", which could be a big problem for me, as their 'nonstandard' battery could be highly costful and hard to find. So, what does PF recommend me? I'm in my second year of HS, currently. I'm pretty sure I don't need a graphic-capable calc. While playing Doom and Pokémon is nice...no...I doubt I'll ever use it properly.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm doing upper levels at the moment, I use this guy.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/minieng/465646820/

Seriously.

I hardly ever use a calculator. I don't even bring it to exams. Anything really ugly I use maple and wouldn't even try on a graphing calc.

1. What makes a calculator "proper" for Christmas?

A proper calculator for Christmas is one that has all the necessary functions and features to make holiday calculations easier and more efficient. This could include features such as a built-in holiday countdown, currency conversion for gift shopping, and a percentage function for calculating discounts on holiday sales.

2. Is a scientific calculator a good choice for Christmas?

It depends on the individual's needs. If they regularly use advanced mathematical functions or are a student, a scientific calculator may be a practical and useful gift. However, for general holiday calculations, a basic calculator with holiday-specific features may be a better choice.

3. Are there any specific brands or models of calculators that are recommended for Christmas?

There are many reputable calculator brands and models that offer holiday-specific features. Some popular options include the Casio fx-991EX Classwiz, Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus CE, and HP Prime Graphing Calculator. It ultimately depends on the individual's needs and preferences.

4. Can a calculator be used as a gift for children on Christmas?

Yes, a calculator can be a practical and educational gift for children, especially those who are interested in math or science. There are many kid-friendly calculators available with colorful designs and simplified functions for younger users.

5. Are there any alternative options to a physical calculator for holiday calculations?

Yes, there are many calculator apps and online calculators that offer holiday-specific features and can be accessed on a smartphone or computer. These can be a convenient and cost-effective alternative to a physical calculator for holiday calculations.