1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A pulley of mass m using conservation of energy

1. Mar 6, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a massive pulley of mass m and radius r shown in the figure below, with two objects hanging off it having masses m and 2m, respectively. The pulley can be considered as a uniform disk, and the string is massless, does not stretch and does not slip.
    By considering conservation of energy, determine the acceleration of the masses.
    Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 9.42.22 PM.png
    2. Relevant equations
    $$I=\frac{1}{2}mr^2$$
    $$K=\frac{1}{2}mv^2$$
    $$K=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think the total kinetic energy of the system is $$K=\frac{1}{2}mv^2+\frac{1}{2}(2m)v^2+\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2$$ but I'm not sure how to calculate the total potential energy of the system.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Don't see any equation involving energy in your relevant equations ?
    Also don't see anything with acceleration ?
    Do see unexplained variable ##r##, though. Unknown ?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  4. Mar 6, 2017 #3
    I don't know how to get the acceleration without using Newton's Laws, which is what the question is asking me to do.

5. Mar 6, 2017 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

DId you render the problem statement completely, litterally ? I read it asks you to do it with energy conservation.

6. Mar 6, 2017 #5
    Sorry that is what I meant to say. I am supposed to do it with conservation of energy rather than Newton's laws but I am unsure how to do so.

7. Mar 6, 2017 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I repeat posts 2 and 4.

8. Mar 6, 2017 #7
    I'm unsure of what you're asking.

9. Mar 6, 2017 #8

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

From post #2:
    What is ##r## ?
    Is it known or unknown ?
    You now edited in ##K##. What about potential energy ?
    What about acceleration ?

From post #4:
    What is the complete problem statement ?

10. Mar 6, 2017 #9
    r is unknown. I'm not sure about potential energy because I don't know where the ground is defined. I'm also not sure about acceleration.

I copied the problem statement exactly as I saw it in my homework problems.

11. Mar 6, 2017 #10

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ok, means you are supposed to formulate the answer in terms of ##m## and ##r##. Funny they don't even mention ##r## -- perhaps it divides out ultimately; we'll see.

You still need more equations (there are various relationships you haven't listed).
    Ground can be anywhere. So pick something (you can even pick the ceiling if you want). More importantly: what coordinate system do you plan to define and use ?

12. Mar 7, 2017 #11
    I think I'll use Cartesian coordinate system with h as the initial height from the ground in both masses. Then the finish height would be 0 for mass 2m? Although I'm not sure about the final height for the second mass.

I suppose another relevant equation would be $$v^2-v_0^2=2a\Delta x$$

13. Mar 7, 2017 #12

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is indeed the energy conservation equation. You can take ##v_0 = 0##.

m and 2m are connected by a rope (you implicitly use that already with the single variable ##v##)
    the rope doesn't slip on the pulley

To be honest, I still don't see how this can be answered using energy considerations only. Maybe you can get something containing acceleration by differentiating a form that contains ##v^2## :rolleyes: .
    If I were you I would embark on a solution attempt with a more conventional approach and then see if it can be bent to accommodate the instruction in the last line of the problem statement.

14. Mar 7, 2017 #13
    I think I have a solution. First define the two masses as being h metres off the ground initially. Then by the conservation of energy,
    $$E_{initial}=E_{final}$$
    $$\implies mgh+(2m)gh=\frac{1}{2}mv^2+\frac{1}{2}(2m)v^2+\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2+mg(2h)$$
    $$\implies mgh=\frac{3}{2}mv^2+\frac{1}{4}mr^2\frac{v^2}{r^2}$$
    $$\implies gh=\frac{7}{4}v^2$$
    Now we use the kinematic equation: $$v^2-v_0^2=2a\Delta x$$ which gives
    $$\frac{4gh}{7}-0^2=2ah$$
    and finally, $$a=\frac{2g}{7}$$

15. Mar 7, 2017 #14

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Consistent with ##mg## having to cause 3.5 ##\times {1\over 2}mv^2##. Well done !

I like this exercise very much: both h and r divide out -- which I hoped for, but it wasn't obvious at the start -- and something simple remains.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted